Activation Date: 25 Mar, 2021 Announced Date: 25 Mar, 2021 Expire Date: 22 Apr, 2021
About American University of Afghanistan:
Founded in 2006, the American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit, nationally-accredited university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We are a dynamic university with a student population of over 1,000 students.
The STM Division is accepting applications for Adjunct Laboratory Technician in Biology. Applicants with relevant experience are welcome to apply. As the language of instruction at AUAF is English, all candidates must have excellent English language communication skills. This is a contractual adjunct position for one semester. It is renewable semester-to-semester upon mutual agreement and availability.
Description of Job Duty
- Support academic staff in the delivery undergraduate teaching sessions in Biology.
- Ensure that Biology practical classes and laboratory sessions are planned for, prepared for, organized and run on time and in an efficient and professional manner.
- Ensure that all necessary kit, instrumentation, equipment and consumables are available for practical sessions.
- Trouble-shoot, problem solve and provide preventative maintenance on instrumentation and equipment.
- Assist with practical development where necessary.
1- Teamwork and communication
- The Laboratory Technician will work effectively with the Biology Instructor to ensure timely and efficient delivery of the undergraduate Biology courses and other activities.
- The Laboratory Technician will share relevant information and communicate effectively with the Chair and the team members of the STM Division and other staff involved in teaching provision.
2- Maintenance and usage of equipment
- The Laboratory Technician will be responsible for ensuring that equipment and instrumentation used as part of teaching is appropriately maintained and in full working order.
- The Laboratory Technician will report any defective or lost equipment to the Biology Instructor and the Chair of the STM Division.
- The Laboratory Technician will alert the appropriate personnel about any problems with equipment/ kit in the laboratory and will seek to ensure that repair work is carried out in a timely manner.
3. Procurement of equipment and consumable materials
- The Laboratory Technician will ensure there are adequate consumables and practical session-resources in the laboratory and re-order as necessary.
- The Laboratory Technician will keep copies of all requisition forms in date order, available for consultation.
4. Routine manual work and laboratory organization
- The Laboratory Technician will be responsible for maintaining the professional presentation of teaching facilities with regards to equipment/ consumable organization and general cleanliness. The laboratory should be tidied and all unnecessary items stored away.
- The Laboratory Technician will regularly check water and gas fixings to ensure they are correctly fastened. Fixings will be checked for wear and tear and repaired/ replaced as necessary.
- Bachelor Degree in Biology or Bachelor Degree in a related field such as Zoology, Pant Science or Ecology.
- At least two years of relevant work experience.
- Practical laboratory experience in higher education, further education or industry (focusing on Biology, Zoology, Plant Science or Ecology) is desired.
Personal Specification and Attributes
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly organized
- Works well under pressure
- Demonstrable time management skills
- Innovative and pro-active, able to work to own initiative and a problem solver.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and skilled at prioritizing.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document: a cover letter, curriculum vitae (CV), statement of teaching purpose, and contact information for three references to [email protected] Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Please make sure that you will add the Vacancy title and number in the subject of your mail as: AF-N-68-2021-Adjunct Laboratory Technician in Biology otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If hired, the successful applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
AUAF strives to ensure that all employees work in safe environments, but safety and security are to a great degree contingent on various factors within Afghanistan that are outside of AUAF’s control. Applicants should carefully consider and evaluate their safety and security in Afghanistan