Activation Date: 31 May, 2021 Announced Date: 31 May, 2021 Expire Date: 11 Jun, 2021
About Ministry of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
Laboratory’s Department of MoPW is responsible for testing all road and bridge construction materials such as: soil, aggregate, cement, bitumen, asphalt concrete, and other distractive and non-distractive tests on fresh and hardened concrete. The laboratory department is also responsible for geotechnical investigation of roads/highways, bridges, and related structures. Besides these, Laboratory’s department, MoPW is responsible for soil sample collection from various sites and conducting both simple and advanced tests on the collected samples. Moreover, Laboratory’s department, MoPW is committed to provide proper geotechnical, geo investigation data and also supervise the process of testing, check, and review the existing reports. Laboratory’s department of MoPW witness all quality tests, check, and review of all mix designs provided for asphaltic pavement layers.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
An asphalt concrete Lab Technician conducts a wide variety of materials tests related to aggregate, bitumen, and mix design of asphalt, In addition to some limited public works inspections. The aggregate, bitumen, and other materials’ testing are conducted primarily in the Lab Department of MoPW. Also, depending upon need can be conducted in the field. Performing different tests of asphalt tests, destructive and non-destructive tests on asphalt pavements, and other relevant and required tests. Technicians are required to use appropriate safety equipment and procedures while performing assignments. An asphalt concrete Lab Technician reports to the asphalt concrete engineer who reviews work through inspections, observation, and gathers overall results achieved.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Receiving, processing, and analyzing samples.
• Conducting tests on samples and experimental processes.
• Using, cleaning, and maintaining various types of equipment.
• Handling and storing chemicals and other materials.
• Administrative tasks such as maintaining notebooks, registration the simples and documenting procedures
• Picking-up and delivering items for the lab
• Monitor and authorize entrance and departure of employees, visitors, and other persons.
• Storing and keeping all test materials including bitumen, aggregate, and asphalt concrete samples delivered from the test site in nominal condition;
• While performing Lab tests, must consider all safety rules and regulations and wear safety suites in the Lab and in the field;
• Testing bitumen, aggregate, and other asphalt concrete materials according to ASTM, BS, ASHTO, and MS-2 codes and standards;
• Preparing mix design of asphalt concrete using ASTM, ASHTO, and MS-2 codes and standards, according to the guidance of asphalt concrete engineer;
• Conducting core tests on-field if needed;
• Carrying out Marshall tests within MoPW’s Asphalt Laboratory
• Ensuring laboratory equipment is, calibrated, maintained in good condition
• Write the results and conclusions of the inspection in a clear and intelligible way. Log the inspection’s processes such as contact, outcome, and steps taken.
• Use elements of protective clothing such as steel-tipped shoes, and gear such as protective goggles, in order to minimize the risk of accidents in construction and to mitigate any injury if an accident does occur.
• Check the quality of basic materials used for the production of semi-finished and finished goods by assessing some of its characteristics and, if needed, select samples to be analyzed.
• Prepare a detailed report of all tests performed using a customized computer program and preset to asphalt concrete engineer;
• Performing site trips if needed;
• Assisting with the other Lab sections in relevant tasks and operations;
• Performing any other related duties and tasks as assigned by the head/supervisor.
Skills & Competencies:
• Be familiar with all sample and advanced tests required for asphalt concrete, data collection, and their analysis;
• Be able to record all test results in the prepared formats;
• Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions (especially in the field if required);
• High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept responsibility for all poor asphalt concrete test results;
• Familiarity with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and any other software used for asphalt concrete engineering.
• Minimum of a higher baccalaureate or bachelor degree in civil engineering, and or any other similar discipline;
• Having min of 3-year work experience as Asphalt Pavement/Construction Material Testing Lab Technician and 5 years of general experience in civil engineering;
• Knowledge of standard practices of Asphalt Concrete and all relevant AASSHTO, ASTM, and MS-2 standards;
• Good experience in working with relevant lab equipment and machinery;
• Required verbal and written communication skills in English, Pashto, and Dari;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills.
• CV with an application form for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
• Copy of other documents seems to be necessary.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/CMTL/1400-83) and the post title (Asphalt Concrete Laboratory Technician) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Office Add: SRTAP Office, Kabul Jalalabad Road, In front of KMTC, Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified