Activation Date: 27 May, 2021 Announced Date: 27 May, 2021 Expire Date: 08 Jun, 2021
About Ministry of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
The Directorate of Survey and Design is a technical survey (Feasibility study, topographical survey, Geotechnical Investigation, Hydrology, and hydrologic design) and design (Geometric Design, pavement design, structural design, and bridge design) of all roads and bridge projects as per national and international standards. The survey and design process are required to complete as per approved and standard computer programs.
The survey and design directorate of MoPW is responsible to prepare standard drawings as per mentioned standards and approved programs applicable at the construction site. The ministry is recruiting data collectors to carry out pavement and roadway structures’ design and technical surveys of the various Road networks and of rural roads throughout Afghanistan.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The Sr. Bridge Design Engineer works is responsible for the overall output of the bridge design section, and other hand is the one who is following the bridge construction activities on the site. The Sr. Bridge Design Engineer will manage all designs and technical documentation produced by the Bridge Design Unit, and specific designs and reviews drawings, specifications, and work methodologies according to AASHTO and MPW Design standards.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Responsible for the overall output of the bridge design unit in preparation of bridge design drawing, estimation, and documentation.
• Responsible for reviewing the plans and specifications on projects, prepared by the technical team, and creating the final site-specific drawings of the bridges for construction in line with the design and technical specifications requirements for completeness and accuracy
• Calculate the structural type and members based on technical and engineering theoretical/practical concepts
• Confer with members of the design and engineering team and conduct research to determine project requirements/scope of work.
• Responsible for the provision of technical supervision and quality assurance for all project activities
• Support the monitoring and evaluation of the project
• Provide overall leadership, management, and technical guidance to ensure the achievement of project objectives and performance indicators; the quality and timeliness of the project work; effective management, effective human resources allocation; and accurate project reporting
• Make necessary site visits for all the bridge projects faced problems in the construction stage and solve technical problems on the site for good results
• Create spreadsheets in design estimation and survey analysis of the projects
• Make sure the quality of construction work is as per the specification of MoPW.
• Continuously follow up on the ongoing projects and coordinate with the contract management unit of MoPW.
• Provide technical training to project engineers and local contractors in bridge design and construction techniques including good practices and troubleshooting methods.
Skills & Competencies:
• Must able to deliver at least 2 bridge design/month with complete documentation
• Must able to review 4 bridge design /month outsource survey and design
• Must able to prepare the design drawings of other bridge-related projects
• High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept responsibility for poor data collection
• Knowledge of bridge engineering, and conducting relevant surveys and analysis
• Use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, and any other software used for bridge engineering e.g. CSI Bridge.
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering with 5 years of experience and a Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of experience.
• Work Experiences: At least 7 years of work experience in a large-scale road construction project and bridge design is required.
• Previous experience working in a UN or World Bank and Government project, INGO is an advantage.
• Knowledge of standard practices of bridge engineering
• Sufficient experience working with bridge survey equipment as necessary
• Required verbal and written communication skills in English
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills
• Perform any other survey and design-related duties and tasks as assigned by the head/supervisor.
• CV with an application form for the relevant position
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract
• Copy of other relevant documents
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications; detailed CV and other required documents [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP /1400-75) and the post title (Bridge Design Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul Jalalabad Road, in front of KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for written exam and interview