Activation Date: 22 May, 2021 Announced Date: 22 May, 2021 Expire Date: 03 Jun, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
On a mission to reduce project costs and extend the service life of road infrastructures in Afghanistan, the MoPW aims to embark on a project to develop new Standard Specifications for Roads and highway infrastructures by taking into account the national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, economic situation, contractual procedures, safety requirements, local construction materials’ engineering properties, and technical aspects of the established design criteria for designing of roads and highway structures.
For the effective accomplishment of this purpose, the ministry intends to establish a team of highly experienced experts with diverse affiliations and extensive partnerships with industry and government organizations that will collaborate for revising the available technical specifications and developing new Standard Specifications for the design and construction of roadways and highway infrastructures with sufficient quality to be adopted by the MoPW and other relevant highway agencies/contractors functioning in Afghanistan. The newly developed Standard Specifications will serve as a standard reference in the construction contracts of roads and highway infrastructure (bridge, culvert, retaining/drainage structures) projects and outline minimum requirements for them. It will primarily encompass the limitations and standards for materials, equipment, and construction requirements that will ensure the delivery of quality, cost-effective, reliable, safe, and durable road and highway structure projects.
The MoPW is looking to recruit a professional Construction Engineering Senior Specialist with extensive experience in a wide range of civil construction activities including, but not limited to, building, maintenance, and repair of roads, bridges, drainage structures, retaining walls, and building systems. The incumbent must have a thorough understanding of the international and local design and construction codes/regulations/standards.
The incumbent will function as a member of the team for developing the Standard Specifications and will work under the direct supervision, guidance, and direction of the International SME and leadership of the Team Leader/ Project Manager. The position holder will utilize their qualifications and experience in establishing specifications and guidelines for managing the roads and highway construction projects concentrating on designing, building, and maintaining roads and highway structures. The position will collaborate with the team of experts to develop a comprehensive Standard Specification for road projects in Afghanistan that is aligned with both the country’s needs and the regional/international standards.
The potential candidate will remain active through all project phases and should work in close coordination with the senior management in the MoPW. He/She must directly report to the Team Leader/ Project Manager of the team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The selected Construction Engineer will function as a member of the team for developing Standard Specifications and provide necessary technical expertise in the mentioned area who will be responsible to perform the following tasks:
• Review the existing construction technologies adopted by local contractors in highway projects and make necessary recommendations to improve safety standards on constructions sites and optimize budget expenditures;
• Establish standard procedures for planning, design, and various other phases of road construction projects;
• Assist in establishing technical limitations/ applications for items, materials, processes, equipment, methods, designs, and engineering practices for use by road engineers;
• Share expertise related to all aspects of designing, building, and maintaining road and highway structures;
• Ensure that the developed Standards Specification complies with national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, economic situation, and the engineering properties of available construction materials;
• Ensure projects meet legal, environmental, and health/ safety standards through the adoption of newly developed standard specifications;
• Cooperate in the capacity building of field engineers in supervising and certifying construction progress in compliance with the contract conditions;
• Develop guidelines and checklists for supervising the Contractor’s performance;
• Assist in developing standard procedures for designing drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for highway projects;
• Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of currently adopted design, procurement, and construction procedures and approaches for infrastructural projects in Afghanistan;
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with seniors and the standard specification team and provide the necessary advice and support to them;
• Plan and coordinate the activities for the development of standard specifications to ensure conformance with procedures and regulations as required by the MoPW;
• Assist the team in disseminating and publishing the finalized standard specification draft;
• Complete all work in conformance with the MoPW core values;
• Assist the Project Manager in reviewing/preparing the progress reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly);
• Assist the team in drafting the standard specifications and oversee the writing quality;
• Ensure that the language used in draft Standard Specifications is clear, simple, precise, and appropriate to the intended audience; and
• Perform other functions related to standard specification development required or assigned by the senior management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Demonstrate a good understanding of the concepts, principles, theories, and methods required to plan, design, construct, operate, and maintain roads, bridges, tunnels, and other highway structures;
• Preferably, experienced in projects involving construction management and supervision under a FIDIC contract environment or similar conditions used in highway projects;
• Must know road construction mechanisms, materials, and machinery;
• Able to analyze survey reports, maps, technical drawings, and other topographical or geological data;
• Familiar with local, regional, and international standards, including the MoPW standards, IRC, AASHTO, ASTM;
• Hands-on experience with GIS, MS Office, Auto CAD, Civil 3D, etc. and ability to use modern survey instruments;
• Able to develop specifications/guidelines and write clear, concise, and accurate technical reports/documents;
• Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player with a strong desire to succeed;
• Able to manage conflicting priorities; and
• Demonstrate leadership in handling and working with multidisciplinary teams.
• A bachelor’s degree holder in Civil engineering with an emphasis on construction technology for roads and highway structures and construction management. Preference will be given to candidates with Master’s or a higher degree in the related field;
• Have at least 8 years experience in leading large-scale highway projects, mainly focused on performing engineering work related to planning, design, or construction of any roads, bridges, site preparation, or other related work;
• Having 2 years of experience in preparing technical documents and developing standards/manuals is highly preferable;
• Must be fully familiar with the currently practiced construction technologies/techniques and standards for roads and highway structures in Afghanistan and have the knowledge of methodology concerning standard specification development;
• Must have completed several high-profile infrastructural projects in high-profile companies/ organizations;
• Must demonstrate robust technical writing and English communication skills;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan, collect required data, and work as part of a team;
• Perform any other job-related duties and tasks as assigned by the senior management.
• CV with a cover letter for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract; and
• Copy of other relevant documents that support the application.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/PSC/1400-52) and the post title (Construction Engineering Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Address: SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul-Jalalabad Rd., opposite KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.