Activation Date: 19 May, 2021 Announced Date: 19 May, 2021 Expire Date: 25 May, 2021
Chemonics seeks Deputy Chief of Party for an anticipated USAID-funded project; Afghanistan Power Sector Governance (PSG).
The purpose of the Afghanistan PSG Activity (the “Activity”) is to support the Government of Afghanistan (GOA) in its efforts to enhance governance functions of national power sector institutions and strengthen the operational capacity and transparency of the state-owned electric utility, Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS). The focus of the Activity is to improve oversight and management practice within DABS as a means to measurably advance commercial performance. This Activity will facilitate DABS’ path of financial sustainability and support increased growth and the quality of electricity services for its residential, commercial, and industrial customers. The overall Goal of the Afghanistan PSG Activity is to improve the commercial performance and quality of service delivery in Afghanistan by enhancing the governance practices of key sector institutions.
The Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) will assist the Chief of Party (COP) in managing the technical and Operations work of the program to ensure that all the activities are met in accordance with the program workplan and are of sound quality and overseeing daily program implementation on a full-time basis. S/he will assist with management and quality control of reporting, public outreach, training, monitoring and evaluation and beneficiary relationships and will be responsible for day-to-day communication with USAID and other program partners. In the absence of the COP, the DCOP will serve as acting COP.
- Provide support to the Chief of Party in programmatic, strategic development and quality control duties.
- Oversee three technical components related to the strengthening and optimization of DABS.
- Oversee annual work planning, performance management, and strategic communications. Build and maintain a technical bridge between project technical staff that design strategy and achieve activity-wide goals and objectives.
- Seek by-in and negotiate agreements with Afghan counterparts which are needed to implement Activity objectives.
- Build partnerships with key stakeholders, including but not limited to the following:
- DABS: Board of Directors, Shareholders’ Assembly, Senior Management Group
- GOA: Energy Services Regulatory Authority (ESRA), Ministry of Finance
- Others: Private sector representatives, civil society groups or representatives, donor partner
- Ensure that lessons learned from project implementation are shared across components and are fed into quarterly reports, annual reports, and the annual work plan.
- Undertakes other technical assignments designated by the Chief of Party.
- The Deputy Chief of Party will oversee daily administrative operations of the projects, including HR, Procurement, IT, Logistics and Administration.
- The Deputy Chief of Party will work closely with the Operations Director to ensure that operating policies and procedures comply with USAID and Chemonics regulations/policies and support PSG objectives.
- Undertakes other Operations assignments designated by the Chief of Party.
- Master’s degree or its equivalent with 5 years of relevant experience; Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of relevant experience
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to manage and motivate teams.
- Relevant technical experience in the areas of power sector governance and utility reform support and services.
- Experience working collaboratively with DABS, host Afghan Government counterparts and the local private sector strongly preferred.
- A proven record of excellent management, strategic thinking and decision-making, leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.,
- Demonstratable ability to find viable solutions to complicated problems in a flexible, time-sensitive, and creative manner.
- Experience working on USAID programs preferred but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling the online application form and upload their CVs and cover letters. Please click to the below link: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/b49251119d534b57bde1f772993eba67
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Applications received after the above-mentioned deadline will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- This vacancy is open only to Afghan Nationals
- No in-person appointments or telephone calls will be entertained
- Candidates who are applying for this position must fully meet the education requirement as specified
- At the time of application, candidates must also meet in full the experience requirement
- Short-listed candidates will be requested to provide educational documents such as degrees, diplomas, certificates, and other pertinent documents as needed. Failure to provide the required documentation will result in disqualification of their application from further consideration