Activation Date: 27 May, 2021 Announced Date: 27 May, 2021 Expire Date: 11 Jun, 2021
About American University of Afghanistan:
The American University of Afghanistan (AUAF) is a private, non-profit university offering an American-style liberal arts education. We opened our doors in 2006 and currently offer four undergraduate academic majors and an MBA program. We follow a strict non-discriminatory policy and applicants from all qualified backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are a young and growing, dynamic university with a student population of nearly 1,100.
The Director of Development will manage and direct all aspects of development, including funding raising (for restricted and unrestricted funds); relationship building with current and potential donors; and management of the AUAF scholarship portfolio. S/he will work closely with senior leadership to develop and implement development strategies to broaden the University’s donor programs to help to ensure that AUAF is able to provide financial support to students in need. A position of Director of Development is based in Kabul.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Director is responsible for the overall success of the development strategy for the University.
- Works in close coordination with senior staff to develop and implement annual Development strategic direction.
- Identifies and collaborates on grant opportunities that enhance AUAF’s academic programs and profile.
- Drafts grant proposals and supports colleagues who are also seeking grants.
- Directs and coordinates the University’s scholarship programs, ensuring timely and proactive reporting in accord with donor agreements.
- Manages the University’s external agreements (MOUs and contracts), maintaining accurate, accessible records and ensuring that agreement conditions are met in a timely manner.
- Works closely with senior leadership to grow the AUAF donor community and broaden the AUAF donor base to build resiliency and minimize reliance on single donor pools.
- Liaise with the Friends of AUAF (FAUAF) to support their fundraising efforts on behalf of AUAF.
- Works with individual departments to support specific projects and/or grant opportunities.
- Coordinates training programs, as needed, to ensure the AUAF faculty and staff understand the resources available through the Development department.
- Coordinates with the Communications Office to provide materials on student success to regularly renew and update AUAF’s external profile.
- Works with Student Affairs and the Dean of Students office to make resources available to support student retention and student success.
- Engages regularly with the Afghan business community to strengthen and enhance academic/corporate relationships in support of AUAF programs.
In addition to the above, the Director position is also responsible for managing and overseeing the human resources, budget execution, and normal director-level activities to facilitate the Department of Development’s activities.
Required Position Qualifications
- Master’s in business management, public relations, development, or other relevant majors (or with equivalent work experience) with five (5) years of development or other relevant experience, or bachelor’s degree with ten (10) years of progressively higher responsibility in development (or related field) that includes:
- Demonstrated track record of successful fundraising.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and motivating staff
- Demonstrated ability to support and coordinate with senior leadership on development strategies
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and strengthen external networks to become active stakeholders in AUAF success
- Fluency in written and spoken English
Required Basic Qualifications
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to engage constructively and proactively across all job levels
- Superior written and oral communication skills
- Advanced computer skills, including basic accounting and database management
- Ability to work under pressure and within limited timeframes
- Excellent analytical, project management, and organizational skills with specific demonstration of initiative to develop grant opportunities to advance organizational goals
- Demonstrated experience in administration, budget management, and human resources
- Demonstrated experience in fundraising for higher education projects.
- Fluency in written and spoken Dari and/or Pashto.
To apply, please send as a single PDF document (cover letter, curriculum vitae) and contact information for three references to [email protected] before the closing date. Please, include (AF-N-79-2021- Director of Development) in the subject line of the email, otherwise, the application will not be considered. Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. A written test or example of work may be used as a form of screening.
If shortlisted, the applicant is expected to provide official proof of academic degrees (transcripts sent from the degree-granting school directly to AUAF).
AUAF does not charge recruitment fees to applicants.
AUAF is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. AUAF follows a strict non-discriminatory policy in its selection and employment practices. All applicants will receive equal consideration and applicants from all ethnic, religious and economic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.