Activation Date: 22 May, 2021 Announced Date: 22 May, 2021 Expire Date: 03 Jun, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
On a mission to reduce project costs and extend the service life of road infrastructures in Afghanistan, the MoPW aims to embark on a project to develop a set of new criteria for the design of roads and highway infrastructures in compliance with national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, economic situation, safety requirements, and the available construction technology. The adoption of newly developed design criteria will enhance safety, mobility, and sustainability when designing.
For the effective accomplishment of this purpose, the ministry intends to establish a team of well-versed and highly experienced professionals that will work together to revise the available Interim Road and Highway Standard and substituting it with the newly developed design criteria for roadways and highway infrastructures with sufficient quality to be adopted by the MoPW and other relevant highway agencies and contractors functioning in Afghanistan. The developed design criteria will encompass the essential design criteria, including but not necessarily limited to road functional/administrative classification system, sets of design references, guidelines for traffic characteristics, sight distance, horizontal/vertical alignment, cross-sectional elements, rest/parking facilities, ramps, drainage facilities, and structures, retaining structures, intersection types, pavement types, pavement markings, traffic signs, and road furniture, etc.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The MoPW is actively seeking an engineer with vast experience in planning, coordinating, drafting/editing, designing content, and publishing standards, guidelines, manuals, etc., who will function as a member of the team for developing a comprehensive and well-compiled set of design criteria for road projects in Afghanistan. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision, guidance, and direction of the International SME and leadership of the Team Leader/ Project Manager.
The potential candidate will work in close coordination with the Graphic Designer and other team members and senior management in the MoPW and must directly report to the Team Leader/ Project Manager of the team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will focus on drafting, compiling, editing, and publishing the design criteria whose duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Prepare, assemble, proofread, edit, format, and write design criteria contents and consult the team members if needed for distribution or publication;
• Ensure that the submitted written work for editorial processing adheres to the standard format and recommend improvements to the style and other editorial processes if deemed necessary;
• Combine a blend of both corporate/academic and creative editorial mindset;
• Exhibit familiarity with standard formats for drafting manuals/guidelines;
• Check the document structure and adjust the text for clarity, readability, consistency, and sense;
• Check and implement consistency of terminology, punctuation, and style;
• Ensure that the language used in draft design criteria is accurate in terms of grammar and spelling;
• Make sure that the content of the design criteria is clear and appropriate for the target audience;
• Expertise in MS Word document formatting of large files;
• Oversees production schedules to ensure completion by set deadlines;
• Serves as a liaison between the design criteria team and publishers and negotiate contracts with publishers for distributed design criteria draft and reprint;
• Plan and co-ordinate the activities such as the production of documents, scheduling meetings, and preparing agendas for the development of design criteria and ensure compliance to the MoPW procedures/regulations;
• Collaborate with the Graphic Designer and assist the team in disseminating and publishing the finalized design criteria draft;
• Assist the Project Manager in reviewing/preparing the progress reports (weekly / monthly); and
• Perform other tasks related to developing design criteria required/assigned by the senior management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Demonstrate robust technical writing and English language communication skills;
• Skill in the use of personal computers and related software applications;
• Ability to evaluate and edit the content, structure, and format of a range of written material;
• Knowledge of printing procedures and requirements;
• Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player with a strong desire to succeed;
• Able to manage conflicting priorities; and
• Demonstrate leadership in handling and working with multidisciplinary teams.
• Minimum of bachelor degree in any engineering discipline;
• Having at least 6 years of working experience specifically focused on editorial works especially preparing manuals/guidelines (preferably, for highway agencies) who should exhibit robust technical writing and English communication skills;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan and work as part of a team;
• Perform any other job-related duties and tasks as assigned by the senior management.
• CV with a cover letter for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract; and
• Copy of other relevant documents that support the application.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/PSC/1400-55) and the post title (Editor) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Address: SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul-Jalalabad Rd., opposite KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.