Activation Date: 20 May, 2021 Announced Date: 20 May, 2021 Expire Date: 11 Jun, 2021
Skateistan is an award-winning international non-profit organization empowering children through skateboarding, non-formal, and informal education in Afghanistan, Cambodia and South Africa. Through our innovative programs which combine creative, arts-based education with the fun and freedom of skateboarding, Skateistan gives children the opportunity to become leaders for a better world. Our mission is to empower children through skateboarding and education. Our vision is to create leaders for a better world.
Skateistan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We encourage applications from people who identify as ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and individuals from groups that have been marginalized. Where candidates feel comfortable doing so, we encourage them to disclose this in their application.
The Educator: Digital Specialist position will focus on leading the Skate School’s digital curriculum. You will report directly to the Programs Officer at the Skate School and work closely with the Programs Officer and other Educators to ensure that the activity plan is maintained and all programs are progressing towards their goals and outcomes. Leading regular training workshops for the Skate School staff to improve their knowledge and digital literacy will also be a key purpose of this role. You will be a multi-talented person who is not afraid to try new things, and you will have lots of attention to detail. There will be online collaboration with Skateistan’s staff at skate schools in Afghanistan, Cambodia, and South Africa, and headquarters in Berlin. You will also be responsible for assisting in the classroom as needed.
The Educator position is a 12-month contract paid position beginning June 2021, and includes monthly salary and benefits, with possibility of contract extension. This position will be bases at one of the organizations Skate Schools in Kabul, the position will require travel throughout the country.
We recognize that many excellent candidates may not meet every requirement listed below, therefore if you are excited about this position and think you would do a great job and meet many of the requirements, we encourage you to apply!
- Develop lesson plans and curriculum for teaching digital literacy to students ages 6-17
- Develop lesson plans and curriculum for developing digital literacy and enthusiasm for ICT among Skateistan staff
- Work with the Programs Officer and Educators to integrate digital tools into existing Skate and Create curriculum
- Take student attendance at each class session.
- Perform other MEL activities as needed in coordination with the MEL Educator
- Preparation of learning materials for class curriculum
- Maintenance and monitoring of classroom equipment and supplies
- Check classroom equipment for damage and usability, if damaged inform Operations Coordinator and place in the workshop for repair
- Teach according to Skateistan’s classroom and sport teaching philosophy
- Prepare the classroom area before each class begins
- Oversee that students return classroom equipment after each session
- Count classroom equipment after each session
- Report any incidents regarding safety, attendance, or student behavior to Community Educator
- Provide feedback on curriculum to Programs Officer
- Assist in student Admin as needed
- Attend local and international meetings as required
- Support with maintaining partnerships with organizations that support digital learning at Skateistan (Rumie, GNG, GGP).
*The Digital Specialist will also be responsible to perform any reasonable task asked by Skateistan management
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in teaching/training field
Competencies and Knowledge:
- Fluency, both written and spoken, in local language
- Written and spoken English is preferred
- Good communication skills
- Previous experience working with youth
- Enthusiasm for sports is desirable
- Knowledge of Skateistan’s programming
- Trained in first aid
- Strong communication skills
- Organization skills
Required Technical Competencies and Experience:
- Google G-Suite
- Microsoft Windows
- Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of computer networking
Desirable Technical Competencies and Experience:
- Comfortable with basic hardware troubleshooting and replacement
- Raspberry Pi and/or Arduino in the context of a maker space.
- Programming in the context of a maker space
Skateistan has zero tolerance for child abuse, and we require every employee and volunteer to sign our child protection policy declaration and pass a thorough background check including but not limited to a police clearance certificate.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your CV, Cover Letter to [email protected] with the subject, “Educator: Digital Specialist”
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.