Activation Date: 03 Jun, 2021 Announced Date: 03 Jun, 2021 Expire Date: 10 Jun, 2021
About Mission East:
~~Mission East, founded in Denmark in 1991, is an international humanitarian and development organisation undertaking projects in Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Nepal, Iraq, Armenia, Myanmar and North Korea.
Mission East has worked in north-eastern Afghanistan since 2002 implementing a multi-sectoral multi-donor relief and recovery programme in the provinces of Badakhshan and Takhar. It is known for its technically competent, experienced and dedicated staff, and for its effectiveness in reaching some of the most remote and under-served rural communities in NE Afghanistan. It has built up a strong reputation over the years for securing solid community involvement in projects. Mission East is currently one of the bigger (NGO) service-providers for water and sanitation in the north-east and is noted for the success of its particular model of implementation amongst other NGOs and government authorities in the region.
More information on Mission East can be found at: www.miseast.org
(Mission East condemns all forms of child abuse and child exploitation, takes a zero tolerance approach to all abuse and exploitation against children and seeks to ensure children are not exposed to the risk of maltreatment by its representatives)
~~Job Purpose (main role of the position):
Under the direct supervision of the Cluster Coordinator and the technical supervision of the Regional Food Security & Livelihood Officer, the Program Officer / Assistant (Food Security and Livelihood) shall provide technical assistance and support for program design, planning and implementation, management and evaluation of program/project activities, in support of achievement of food security and livelihood program goals and objectives.
• To ensure efficient and effective implementation of food security and livelihood program components.
• To contribute to the process of planning and implementation of food security components (Kitchen garden, food process, green house and nutrition) and livelihood (poultry, orchard management, SHG, producer groups and beekeeping) design, implementation and follow up.
• To mobilize project beneficiaries, community members, CDC members and other stakeholders to participate and engage in implementation and management of program activities in target communities.
• To assist and support capacity building of project beneficiaries, CDC members, interested community members and local authorities on food security and livelihood implementation.
• To contribute to emergency assessment, response and coordination.
• Contribute and support in project/program related assessment/survey/data-collection/coordination.
• Any other official task assigned by the line supervisor.
Key Working Relationships (horizontal & vertical)
The Program Officer / Assistant for Food Security and Livelihood reports to the Area Program Coordinator and has dotted line management with Regional Food Security and Livelihood officer. He/She also coordinates Food Security and Livelihood activities with staff of other thematic programs, operational support units, and with project beneficiaries, community members, CDC members and local authorities.
Scope of the Role:
Reporting to Area Program Coordinator, the Program Officer / Assistant (Food Security and Livelihood) mobilizes project beneficiaries, community members, CDC members and other stakeholders to participate and engage in implementation and management of Food Security and livelihood activities in target communities and ensures the quality of programming in line with the Missions East country strategies, vision, mission and values and/or as per donor required standards.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The Program Officer / Assistant (Food Security and Livelihood) accountable to fulfill his/her roles and responsibilities in line with Mission East Code of Conduct, values, principles and to report to his line manager on defined key performance indicators as follows:
1- Programme Development and Management:
• Contribute to the preparation of status and progress reports by providing information, preparing tables and drafting selected sections of it. Prepares background material for use in discussions and briefing sessions.
• Contribute in field technical need assessments, feasibility studies and design of food security component within cluster or other program area on request of Mission East.
• Contribute in detailed implementation plan and project documents including and presentable filing
• Support preparation of MOUs, handover and other agreements for program components related to food security and livelihood sub-components.
• Contribute in emergency assessment and responses in case of emergency cases for timely and effective response.
• Contribute in assessments, data collection and coordination for development of new proposal on request of Mission East.
2- Quality Program Implementation:
• Take full responsibility in implementation of food security component in covered districts.
• Facilitate community involvement and ensure provision of community and household beneficiary contribution in the implementation of program components related to food security and livelihood activities.
• Support the development of learning materials for program components related to food security and livelihood.
• Support MEAL in beneficiary selection, base-line and end line assessment and PAPAL (community reflection workshops and monitoring).
• Provide technical guidance to project labors and beneficiaries..
• Provide regular feedback on various implementation issues and challenges for their early resolution ensuring smooth implementation of activities.
• Take responsibility in community capacity building on CHS and beneficiary complaint mechanism establishment.
• Compile most significant change stories and share them with relevant team members.
• Regularly visit district DDA, DAIL and DRRD representatives for discussion on project progress and seeking their support/advice in program development and implementation.
• Coordinate with other cluster key stakeholders (government and NGOs, etc.) working in program components related to food security and livelihood.
• Establish and maintain good working relationships with district authorities, DDA and CDC members, and community representatives.
• Represent Mission East at program area, district and community meetings and discussion in coordination with Cluster Coordinator and PPM.
4- Staff Management:
• Support and manage project beneficiaries and community facilitator for smooth and timely implementation.
• Train project beneficiaries on technical aspect of their responsibilities.
• Participate and contribute in staff capacity building events.
• Conducting regular supervision of project beneficiaries in the field
• Identify areas for improvement through direct observation and program review.
• Experience of working with INGOs in the food security and livelihood and community mobilization in rural area.
• Knowledge of spoken and written English (desirable)
• Good computer knowledge
• Local social experience and knowledge
• Commitment to humanitarian principles, standards and rules to guide NGO actions.
• Ability to work under stressful conditions, tight deadlines and sometimes odd hours as required.
• Ability to support, follow-up, encourages and supervises other staff to provide quality work and high levels of performance.
• Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
• Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment;
• Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
Skills & Competencies Required:
• The livelihood and food security Officer / Assistant demonstrate a good understanding of the needs of rural communities, particularly in a high-risk conflict environment.
• Excellent project monitoring and quality control skills.
• Ability to listen, sensitivity to people and discerning
• Problem & conflict resolution skills
• High sympathy to the social, political and cultural contexts of the post
• Good training management, coordination and facilitation skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Sound technical understanding of the programmatic demands of livelihood and food security.
• Committed to Mission East vision, mission and values.
• Graduate from university in horticulture, ATVI (agriculture section), veterinary and food security with adequate knowledge in nutrition.
regular travel to Program Area
Interested applicants who meet the required criteria of the position, can submit their Resume and Cover Letter below email address: [email protected] before the deadline mentioned above.
Please note (Do not attached certificates and etc.)
• Please mention name of the position and your name (FSL Filed Assistant # Your Name) in the subject line of your email.
The closing date for this position is 10-June-2021.