Activation Date: 28 Mar, 2021 Announced Date: 28 Mar, 2021 Expire Date: 16 Apr, 2021
About Skateistan :
Skateistan is Hiring! We are looking for an energetic and creative General Manager to join our team in Bamyan. The General Manager is responsible for the oversight and management of Skateistan’s programs in Bamyan, ensuring that all departments can be run to the best of their ability and collaborate together in a clean, safe and secure environment, providing a positive environment for our students every day. Working closely with the Programs Officer, Finance Officer, Educators, and international team, the General Manager will focus on leading Skateistan Bamyan’s team through keen management and ongoing staff development opportunities and training, enabling them to provide students with amazing educational opportunities. Overall General Manager will play a key role in leading our team in Kabul and help our award winning organization continue to provide amazing opportunities to children every day!
Skateistan’s school in Bamyan will open in July 2021, and will include 3 classrooms, sports facilities, and office space. This is Skateistan’s third school in Afghanistan, and is expected to serve 400 students every week.
The General Manager is a 12-month contract paid position beginning May 2021, and includes monthly salary and benefits, with possibility of contract extension. This position will require occasional travel to other Skateistan schools in Kabul and Mazar-e-Sharif.
Skateistan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We encourage applications from people who identify as ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and individuals from groups that have been marginalized. Where candidates feel comfortable doing so, we encourage them to disclose this in their application.
- Ensure Skateistan Bamyan runs according to the organizational mission, goals and policies
- Provide expert advice and guidance for implementing and updating Skateistan’s programming in Bamyan
- Manage and coordinate officer-level positions (Finance/HR, Development/Communications, and Programs) including weekly meetings with each
- Provide timely updates from the project (both challenges and successes) to the Country Director and international Director team
- Hold weekly meetings with staff to provide timely updates to Country Director and international Director team
- Manage and oversee any major one-off or annual projects of the school, with the assistance from Officer level staff, and ensure such projects are in accordance with the organization’s mission, goals and policies
- Write and submit weekly reports and assessments to Country Director, and maintain weekly meetings with the Country Director
- Create monthly and quarterly reporting updates to national board, HQ, and donors
- Connect with local shareholders and high level community members to effectively communicate Skateistan project goals, maintain these relationships and inform Projects Director regarding any major changes in local shareholder dynamics
- Represent Skateistan to organizational donors as needed
- Participate in Skateistan Annual Meetings, preparing and providing annual project site reviews and future project ideas and plans
- Oversee key projects and processes ensuring they are developed in accordance to organizational standards
- Manage staff performance issues including meetings with staff to address performance and issuing staff conduct warnings or staff terminations
- Provide staff development and training plans along with daily instructions for all facility based staff
- Coordinate six-month and annual staff reviews, which should be used as an opportunity to improve staff performance and receive staff feedback
- Find and coordinate external staff training opportunities with the assistance from the officer level staff in each department
- Manage any necessary recruitment including interviewing potential staff and coordinating with officer level staff where needed.
- Maintain an overview of the school’s annual budget, monthly spending and budget variances
- Assist the Officer level staff to plan annual budget spending in their department
Development & Monitoring, Evaluation, and Leaning
- Where relevant, connect with grant managers to effectively communicate Skateistan’s goals and progress in activities
- Represent Skateistan to international donors together with the Development and/or Communications team
- Work together with the Programs Officer and MEL Educator to ensure the accurate and timely collection of all project site data collection:
Ensure all student data is added accurately each week
Ensure that all deadlines for baseline and endline data collection are met
Ensure that all Educators receive training in data collection throughout the year
Support Educators in the collection of all media (photographs, videos) to be used in Skateistan’s social media platforms
Essential Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum professional and academic qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in Business and Management or equivalent experience
- Experience in managing of others in previous positions
- Experience in NGO/Non-Profit, Public Administration, or Social Work sectors
Minimum years of experience
- 5 years; 3 years in management experience preferable in the NGO/Non-Profit sector
- High level of professionalism and problem solving skills
Competencies and Knowledge
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Committed to lifelong learning
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Ability to motivate and inspire a strong and experienced team
- Fluency, both written and spoken English and local language at the professional level
- Proficient computer skills using G Suite, MS Office, and presentation software
- Experience developing engaging visual and written training materials
- Working knowledge of governmental processes in the country of operations
- Ability to work both independently and closely with others as part of a team
- Keen communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines, tasks efficiently
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Sound knowledge of theories in the field of ‘Sports & Development’ and ‘International Development”
Please send a CV, Cover Letter, and 3 professional references to [email protected] with the title General Manager Bamyan.
Closing date for applications is April 23, 2021.
Skateistan is an equal opportunity employer and persons from marginalized backgrounds and identities are encouraged to apply.
Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.