Activation Date: 27 May, 2021 Announced Date: 27 May, 2021 Expire Date: 08 Jun, 2021
About Ministry of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
The Directorate of Survey and Design is a technical survey (Feasibility study, topographical survey, Geotechnical Investigation, Hydrology and hydrologic design,) and design (Geometric Design, pavement design, structural design and bridge design) of all roads and bridges projects as per national and international standards. The survey and design process are required to complete as per approved and standard computer programs.
The survey and design directorate of MoPW is responsible to prepare standard drawings as per mentioned standards and approved programs applicable at construction site. The ministry is recruiting data collectors to carry out pavement and roadway structures’ design and technical surveys of the verious Road Network and of rural roads throughout Afghanistan.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
Under the supervision of the Head of Survey and Project Directory, Sr. Geotechnical Engineer will provide assistance, supervision, and mentoring to SAPD/MoPW Geotechnical Engineers and civil Servant counterparts in all aspects of MOPW’s road and bridge projects. The Sr. Geotechnical Engineer will have a sound knowledge of engineering geology and research technical, engineering geological developments and will support the SAPD/MoPW in the implementation of geotechnical issues in Afghanistan.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Sr. Geotechnical Engineer will be an integral member of the Survey and Project Directory of MoPW. and he will do Specific responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to:
• Participating in management meetings.
• Preparation of Daily, weekly, Monthly, and Quarterly reports.
• Preparation of Work Plan for Geotechnical Department.
• Supervising and manage the Geotechnical team.
• Travel to the project area if necessary.
• Successfully implement and deliver projects involving engineering geological inputs, including MoPW and client liaison, fieldwork, analysis, and reporting compliance to ASTM, AASHTO, BS, and MoPW technical specifications.
• Interpret MoPW and client’s requirements, plan and undertake project work to provide the required information
• Successfully carry out project work (including fieldwork) in accordance with budgetary limits, and time constraints.
• Carry out engineering geology studies and investigations, supervise field testing and sampling and analysis of results using accepted methods and or computer applications.
• Report and deliver results of investigations and reports in accordance with accepted standard requirements.
• Research technical and engineering geological developments and update procedures and standards to ensure AASHTO, ASTM, BS, and MoPW complies with best practice
• Monitor filed work, laboratory tests, and Review contractor’s geotechnical reports, and provide guidance to contractors in close coordination with all technical Sections.
• Ensure the contractor’s geotechnical report meets with standards, traveling to various survey or project sites and obtaining soil samples at various depths using specialized drilling equipment.
• Perform site survey, the study of material, and determining of kind of material (Hard and Soft material) especially rock types in the length of the road based on-site symptoms and available equipment’s.
• Doing geo-hazards survey along the road and identifying geo-hazard risks area based on USGS and AGS data by using RS and GIS software’s for the selection of best road alignment.
• Prepare Geology, tectonic,s, and earthquakes maps of project based on USGS and AGS data.
• Work closely with the technical survey team regarding identifying material types and survey code selection.
• Ability to analyze side slope stability based on laboratory data by using required software.
• Ability to Analyze laboratory tests and calculate bearing capacity for road structures foundation.
• Survey of the road in marshy land, use of effective methods, and doing the geotechnical design for the specific area from the view of road construction material, like filter properties, frost susceptibility, using geotextiles, etc.
• Identifying frost susceptible material along the road and calculation of freezing depth based on laboratory and climate data compliance to AASHTO, ASTM, BS, and USARMY Corps standards.
• Analyzing the soil samples to determine their composition and overall ability to support the type of Project proposed.
• Work closely with the Laboratory staff and technicians to evaluate the various components of the soil.
• Work closely with road geometric design engineer and collaborating with various other engineers and construction staff including structural engineers, road and bridge engineers.
• Prepare accurate and standard geotechnical reports.
• Perform any other duties in line with these ToR’s as required by the SAPD/MoPW director and Management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Project implementation within constraints of time and budget
• MoPW and Client satisfaction with project delivery, documentation or demonstrated by the increased workload
• Compliance with established professional standards for project implementation, delivery, and performance
• Personal development resulting in the maintenance of international best practice standards
• A demonstrated knowledge of engineering geological/geotechnical investigations, fieldwork, analysis, and reporting, including comprehensive knowledge of issues associated with site appraisal, material properties, and foundation and slope site conditions
• Must able to deliver at least 10Km/month with complete documentation.
• Must able to review 2projects /month outsource survey and design
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Geology, and Geotechnical Engineering with 4 years of experience and Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of experience.
• Work Experiences: At least 10 years of work experience in Geotechnical investigation and laboratory tests a large-scale road and bridge projects is required.
• Previous experience working in a UN or World Bank and Government project, INGO is an advantage.
• Knowledge of standard practices of Geotechnical engineering.
• Sufficient experience working with field and laboratory equipment is necessary.
• Required verbal and written communication skills in English.
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills. Co-operative and flexible work style to work in a team environment
• Willingness to learn new skills and acquire new knowledge
• Working knowledge of MS Office, AutoCAD, GIS, and RS.
• Willing and ready to travel extensively to visit project sites.
• CV with an application form for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
• Copy of other relevant documents seems to be necessary.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications; detailed CV and other required documents [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP /1400-76) and the post title (Geotechnical Engineering Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul Jalalabad Road, in front of KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for written exam and interview