Activation Date: 22 May, 2021 Announced Date: 22 May, 2021 Expire Date: 03 Jun, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
On a mission to reduce project costs and extend the service life of road infrastructures in Afghanistan, the MoPW aims to embark on a project to develop a set of new criteria for the design of roads and highway infrastructures in compliance with national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, economic situation, safety requirements, and the available construction technology. The adoption of newly developed design criteria will enhance safety, mobility, and sustainability when designing.
For the effective accomplishment of this purpose, the ministry intends to establish a team of well-versed and highly experienced professionals that will work together to revise the available Interim Road and Highway Standard and substituting it with the newly developed design criteria for roadways and highway infrastructures with sufficient quality to be adopted by the MoPW and other relevant highway agencies and contractors functioning in Afghanistan. The developed design criteria will encompass the essential design criteria, including but not necessarily limited to road functional/administrative classification system, sets of design references, guidelines for traffic characteristics, sight distance, horizontal/vertical alignment, cross-sectional elements, rest/parking facilities, ramps, drainage facilities, and structures, retaining structures, intersection types, pavement types, pavement markings, traffic signs, and road furniture, etc.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The MoPW is looking to recruit a professional Highway Planning Senior Specialist with extensive experience in planning, scheduling, monitoring the execution of road projects by ensuring quality, legal aspects, cost-effectiveness, and timely completion of highway projects.
The incumbent will function as a member of the team for developing the Design Criteria and will work under the direct supervision, guidance, and direction of the International SME and leadership of the Team Leader/ Project Manager. The position holder should utilize their qualifications and experience in setting the criteria and guidelines for managing the roads and highway construction projects concentrating on all aspects of projects in terms of time, cost, and quality. The planning engineer will be responsible for providing all necessary assistance to the design criteria team concerning the entire planning and scheduling issues and road project activities to develop a comprehensive and well-compiled set of design criteria for road projects in Afghanistan that is aligned with both the country’s needs and the regional/international standards.
The potential candidate will remain active through all project phases and should work in close coordination with the senior management in the MoPW. He/ She must directly report to the Team Leader/ Project Manager of the team.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The selected candidate will focus on the development of Design Criteria whose duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Provide technical assistance in all relevant areas, including developing appropriate methods for engineering, procurement, construction, commissioning, and startup activities to incorporate in the design criteria;
• Experienced in coordinating with the contractor to produce recovery work programs in case of delay;
• Demonstrate expertise in the assessment and analysis of time-related claims;
• Ensure the development of the most appropriate and economically viable construction methods for highway projects in the country;
• Show ability to develop and update master Implementation plan, works plan, and all other related plans;
• Ensure to incorporate the procedures for preparing project cash flow, man-power calculation and utilization schedules, recovery program to catch up delay, and also method to update the progress of project work;
• Manage correspondences, drawings, submittals, material & equipment procurement, daily reports, transmittals, minutes of meetings, bill of quantities, proposals, requests for Inspection, requests for clarification, change orders, invoices, payment requisitions, and snag lists;
• Demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge of currently adopted planning procedures and approaches for infrastructural projects in Afghanistan;
• Preparing resource histograms of a typical road project staff, plant, and equipment;
• Oversee the planning process for completed and ongoing projects to find out the prevalent issues and propose proper solutions and optimal process in the new design criteria;
• Perform needs assessments and discover problems in current practices through field studies and regular meetings with site managers, surveyors, provincial engineers, and stakeholders;
• Gather and interpret data and present reports to the design criteria team related to planning issues of project in terms of time, cost, and quality;
• Develop solutions to a wide range of difficult technical issues concerning project planning and propose effective approaches and solutions;
• Evaluate and compare the proposed procedures to be incorporated in the design criteria for optimization of the planning process;
• Select the most appropriate engineering techniques and sequences of activities for various stages of typical road projects;
• Ensure the adherence of new design criteria with internationally recognized design standards and with the consideration of local conditions and regional/international standards;
• Plan and coordinate the activities for the development of design criteria to ensure compliance to procedures and regulations as required by the MoPW;
• Develop report templates regarding the status of construction progress;
• Assist the team in disseminating and publishing the finalized design criteria draft;
• Successfully interface with experts from a range of other disciplines (civil, design, surveying, traffic, structure, etc.) to compile a comprehensive set of design criteria;
• Complete all work in conformance with the MoPW and core values;
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with seniors and the design criteria team and provide the necessary advice and support to them;
• Assist the Project Manager in reviewing/preparing the progress reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly);
• Assist the team in drafting the criteria and oversee the writing quality;
• Ensure that the language used in draft design criteria is clear, simple, and focused; and
• Perform other functions related to developing design criteria required or assigned by the senior management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Preferably, fully conversant with the standard forms of Contracts used in highway projects;
• Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of current planning techniques and sequences of project-related activities;
• Demonstrate experience in supervising road projects at all stages and providing solutions to problems;
• Know the process of reviewing and approval of the submitted work program by the contractor as well as monitoring the work progress during the construction;
• Know how to assess and forecast project progress and performance against the established accepted/amended work schedule with critical milestones;
• Must be familiar with regional best practices in the field of road project planning;
• Able to draft and develop specifications/ guidelines and write clear, concise, and accurate technical/ non-technical reports;
• Able to use the latest version of Primavera Contract Management (Expedition) as Contract;
• Ability to manage the construction materials needed on-site and ensure that material supplies are sufficient;
• Able to making estimations for road project timescales and costs;
• Acquaintance with regional and international standards for project planning and demonstrate knowledge of relevant AASHTO and Indian Road Congress / MoRTH guidelines;
• Able to develop and update schedules, create reports and provide analysis using Microsoft Project and Primavera;
• Highly motivated and enthusiastic team player with a strong desire to succeed;
• Able to manage conflicting priorities; and
• Demonstrate leadership in handling and working with multidisciplinary teams.
• A bachelor’s degree holder in Civil engineering or a master’s in the field (preferred) with specialization in construction project management and highway project planning;
• Having 8 years of general experience in large road projects, mainly focused on the highway planning, urban roads planning, planning criterias, planning models, origion and distination survey and its analysis handling contractors and claims, dispute settlement, and progress tracking of the ongoing projects;
• Having at least 2 years of specific experience in preparing technical documents and developing standard manuals is highly preferable;
• Must be fully familiar with the currently practiced traffic standards and proposed criteria for roadways in Afghanistan and have the knowledge of methodology concerning design criteria development;
• Must have completed several high-profile infrastructural projects in high-profile companies/ organizations;
• Must demonstrate robust technical writing and English communication skills;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan, collect required data and work as part of a team;
• Perform any other job-related duties and tasks as assigned by the senior management.
• CV with a cover letter for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract; and
• Copy of other relevant documents that support the application.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/PSC/1400-57) and the post title (Highway Planning Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Address: SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul-Jalalabad Rd., opposite KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.