Activation Date: 02 Jun, 2021 Announced Date: 02 Jun, 2021 Expire Date: 09 Jun, 2021
About Medica Afghanistan:
Medica Afghanistan (MA) is a non-profit, non-governmental national women’s organization. We support female survivors of gender-based violence and women and girls in conflict with the law through legal aid, mediation, psychosocial counseling, and advocacy. Headquartered in Kabul, we operate in Kabul and in the north and west regions of Afghanistan through our offices in Balkh and Herat.
MA is a feminist organization which works to advance gender equality and supports inclusion and empowerment of women and girls including through recovery and healing from injustices and violence by individuals and society. It is our aim that feminist principles are also reflected in our ways of working as an organization.
To provide legal services to women and girls whose cases are taken up by the LAP
To conduct awareness rising sessions on basic women’s rights for MA’s addressed beneficiaries
To provide trainings and conduct interviews to increase public awareness on women’s rights
- Represent women criminal, civil and victim cases step by step in courts and prosecution offices and other related organizations with respect to the legal process and internal documention.
- Provide legal advice to clients, as appropriate
- Keep clients informed about the status of their cases through regularly visiting them in Mediation center, JRC, Prison and detention center
- Liaise with LAP social workers on a regular basis, keeping abreast with the development in the cases referred to the latter
- Give interview to media to raise women rights issues and increase people knowledge on women rights
- Attending meetings, conferences, trainings and workshops for keeping abreast with changes in the law and for improving and updating legal knowledge
- Collecting evidence, court paper, examination certificates, defense statements, indictments, rejecting of objection and any documents which are important to be documented on criminal and civil cases based on Quality Assurance manual
- Provide inputs for internal and external reports
- Provide information according to project needs
- Documenting criminal, civil and victim cases in data base and hard copies based on Quality Assurance manual.
- Advocacy for women’s rights in individual cases and in committees.
- Advocacy for amending the enforced laws to support women rights in
- Providing inputs for new drafted laws related to women rights
- Holding state accountable in order to implement and protect women rights through enforced laws through advocacy and preparing petitions
- Counsels and encourages victims and witnesses to develop a positive attitude and an understanding of the importance of their cooperation with law enforcement agencies.
- Maintains contact with clients, witnesses and family throughout investigation phase and prosecution of the case to inform them of the status of the case, upcoming meetings, court dates and outcome of the case.
- Attempts to resolve victim, witness and family complaints and concern regarding police, prosecutor, courts, advocacy and referral services.
- Bachelor in law or Sharia law faculty
- two years of experience legal advocacy especially in legal defense
- Have a basic working knowledge of the Afghan constitution, applicable statues and penal codes including victims’ rights laws.
- Have a basic working knowledge of the criminal justice system procedures and processes
- Good inter-personal skills and ability to communicate well at all levels
- Has a non-judgmental approach in her relationship to women clients
- Fluent in Dari (both verbal and written)
- keen to learn new topics, methods and skill related to her job and being able to improve her performance accordingly
- Ability to write comprehensive reports
- Computer skills
- Basic knowledge of English
- Has good negotiation and facilitation skills
- Must have compassion for those harmed by crime and a passion to advocate for the rights and needs of clients, witnesses and their families.
- Ability to listen and express compassion and empathy, without judgment.
- Able to set aside personal bias, prejudice and fears to effectively communicate, work with and respond to a diverse population of victims, police, prosecutors and service providers.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Have the ability to handle stress including the ability to respond effectively in emergency or crisis situations.
- Ability to recognize and maintain confidentiality in all aspects of position.
- Behave as a professional person
- Being active
- Being flexible for changes and innovations
- Being creative
- Being supportive to colleagues
Applications should be submitted through e-mail to this address: [email protected]
Note: All applicants must write the position title in the subject line Legal Associate