Activation Date: 04 Apr, 2021 Announced Date: 04 Apr, 2021 Expire Date: 18 Apr, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
The Road Asset Management System (RAMS) is a planning tool that MoPW intends to use to deliver a sustainable road management system. MoPW is in the process of building upon the previous progress made in establishing RAMS to produce annual maintenance plans and priorities the project. The ministry is recruiting data collectors to carry out pavement and roadway structures’ inventory and condition surveys of the Strategic Road Network (SRN) and of rural roads throughout Afghanistan. The paved road share of SRN is around 7,000 km of various types of pavements including asphalt, concrete, and DBST. Roadway structures include Bridges, Culverts, Tunnels, Avalanche Galleries, Causeways, and Retaining Walls. MoPW will provide the necessary training for the pavement inventory and condition surveyors on various types of inspections, data collection, use of inspection equipment, form filling, condition rating using severity and extent of various elements. The trainees will be able to identify defects and specify the element’s condition index and provide detailed descriptions accompanied by photographs and sketches as needed.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The pavement inventory and condition surveyor will carry out all the required data for the inventory of roadway elements and its condition required for the planning of road network, prioritization of roads for maintenance/up-gradation works, type of maintenance required for the pavement structures (sealing, patching, micro-surfacing, strengthen of the entire structure, etc.), up-gradation of roadway class, budgeting, timeline, etc.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage inspection schedules and complete work plans;
- Liaise with MoPW central office and local authorities and get approval prior to site inspection;
- Carry out inventory survey and fill its template as necessary;
- Carry out routine and periodic condition surveys as planned, meticulously, systematically, and in a consistent manner as requested by the team leader;
- Complete inspection forms utilizing survey equipment, take pictures/videos recordings, make drawings/sketches, and write inspection summary sheets;
- Record the details of current defects and any preventative or corrective maintenance activities previously carried out;
- Complete Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Check (QC) process in compliance with the Inspection Manuals;
- Estimate quantities and unit prices for repair work as required and assist planning personal on preventative and corrective actions required for maintenance;
- Carry out traffic counts when necessary and or monitor the traffic counters;
- Give required instructions to the traffic counters for the selection of traffic counting stations, team management, and counting procedures;
- Assisting traffic counters team in analyzing traffic counting data required for the planning;
- Keep soft and hard data on roadway structures such as inspection forms, sketches, drawings, calculations, reports, photos, etc.
- Carry out IRI, PSI, etc. surveys;
- Collect and sort data on each roadway element in various folders for inventory, condition survey, Html ODK files, etc.;
- Fill out risk matrix spreadsheets before undertaking trips;
- Mark all defects in photos by identifying the type, severity, and extent of each defect and record them in the prepared templates;
- Coordinate with RAMS core team, the Pavement Condition Officer, and GIS specialist to download raw collected data and upload inventory and condition data to the central database in an accurate and reliable manner;
- Carry out supervision and provide guidance to the data collection contractor (if hired) to improve their performance and quality of the works;
- Participate in missions related to the project review and evaluation;
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of seminars and training courses;
- Any other task assigned by the relevant head/supervisor.
Skills & Competencies:
- Familiar with the roads inventory and condition survey, data collection, and their analysis;
- Experience with Pavement Surface Evaluation and Rating (PASER) methods;
- Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions (especially in the field);
- Be able and willing to travel to all provinces and remote location in Afghanistan, including volatile and insecure areas;
- A high degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept responsibility for poor data collection;
- Knowledge of road maintenance procedures;
- Basic knowledge of road geometric and pavement design will be an asset;
- Use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD.
Min of bachelor degree in civil engineering, transportation engineering, and or any other similar discipline;
Having of a personal smartphone of 6.5inch diagonal dimension, with Android 10, 32GB free memory for use of data collection;
Having of personal computer installed with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and AutoCAD software;
Having a minimum of 4-year work experience in road survey, design, maintenance, and construction (general experience) and min of 1-year work experience of road/pavement inventory and condition surveys and condition rating of asphalt, concrete, and DBST pavements (specific experience);
Knowledge of standard practices of maintenance and construction for road’s pavements;
Basic experience working with GPS and survey equipment as necessary;
Required verbal and written communication skills in English;
Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan, collect required data and work as part of a team;
Physical fitness and able to travel and complete inspection procedure;
Perform any other survey-related duties and tasks as assigned by the head/supervisor.
CV with an application form for the relevant position;
Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
Copy of other documents seems to be necessary.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV, and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/RAMS/1400-01) and the post title (Pavement Inventory and Condition Surveyor) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul Jalalabad Road, in front of KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for written exam and interview