Activation Date: 31 May, 2021 Announced Date: 31 May, 2021 Expire Date: 11 Jun, 2021
About Ministry of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
Laboratory’s Department of MoPW is responsible for testing all road and bridge construction materials such as: soil, aggregate, cement, bitumen, asphalt concrete, and other distractive and non-distractive tests on fresh and hardened concrete. The laboratory department is also responsible for geotechnical investigation of roads/highways, bridges, and related structures. Besides these, Laboratory’s department, MoPW is responsible for soil sample collection from various sites and conducting both simple and advanced tests on the collected samples. Moreover, Laboratory’s department, MoPW is committed to provide proper geotechnical, geo investigation data and also supervise the process of testing, check, and review the existing reports. Laboratory’s department of MoPW witness all quality tests, check, and review of all mix designs provided for asphaltic pavement layers.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The Laboratory’s Department, MoPW is currently looking for a road Portland Cement Concrete Senior Specialist to join the Lab Department. He/she will be responsible for conducting and supervising all quality testing of aggregates and cement and provide comments and recommendations on it. Tasks would include preparation, review, and control mix design for Portland cement concrete. Will also play a key role in managing the asphalt concrete and bitumen department, developing leadership and professional development of the team members. More specifically:
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Supervise the staff working in a laboratory, as well as oversee that equipment is functional, calibrated, and maintained, and procedures occur in compliance with regulations and legislation.
• Supervising the Contractor’s compliance with material specifications and testing;
• Providing input to the design team to source suitable materials;
• Engineering mix design of Portland cement concrete,
• Review and approve quality control test results and certificates for all Portland cement concrete materials and works.
• Establish the schedule, methods, and procedures for the construction supervision of all Portland cement concrete works.
• Stipulate Material Testing Procedures and Specifications.
• During the supervision stage the Portland cement concrete senior specialist will be responsible for ensuring that the field teams are aware of any special constructions requirements;
• Responsible for Portland cement concrete’s construction materials problems;
• Provide an economic and effective framework to meet the requirements of quality standards and system management.
• Review, comments, recommendations and approve the contractor’s proposed Portland cement concrete mix design for concrete works; and managing the Portland cement concrete section team members and personal;
• Preparing safety plans and regulations for the Portland cement concrete section and assisting them to implement these plans accordingly;
• Preparing plans and regulations for the mix design and tests to be conducted, on the Portland cement concrete using AASHTO, ASTM, ACI codes and standards;
• Training the Portland Cement concrete section engineers and technicians on Portland cement, aggregate, and Portland cement concrete mix design and tests; training the personal to calculate the test results and document;
• Providing vital and scientific consultation on all relevant Portland cement concrete matters;
• Ensuring all lab machinery and equipment are calibrated and if the calibration dates are expired, provide assistance and follow up the calibration;
• Check and review the laboratory and field tests carried out by the third party labs;
• Participate in and conduct researches related to different zones of the country;
• Any other task assigned by the relevant head/supervisor.
Skills & Competencies:
• Be familiar with concrete engineering and mix design and other related tests of Portland cement in the concrete;
• Experience with Portland cement types, usage, performing different tests related to Portland cement and components;
• Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions (especially in the field);
• High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept responsibility for poor data collection;
• Knowledge of Portland cement concrete engineering, and conducting relevant tests and analysis;
• Use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, AutoCAD, and any other software used for Portland cement concrete engineering.
• University Degree in Civil or related fields, Masters or higher degree will be preferred.
• Minimum 6 years of work-related experience and 10 years of general experience, including Portland cement concrete engineering mix design, and experience in cement engineering;
• Proven success in managing and executing Portland cement concrete project engineering investigations and research, conducting evaluations and analytical work, and adhering to project budgets and objectives.
• Having a personal computer installed with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD software.
• Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues and co-workers and provide technical leadership to the staff.
• Ability and willingness to travel (short term) within provinces all over Afghanistan.
• Good knowledge in writing reports and proficiency in written and verbal English.
• CV with an application form for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
• Copy of other documents seems to be necessary.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/CMTL/1400-86) and the post title (Portland Cement Concrete Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Office Add: SRTAP Office, Kabul Jalalabad Road, In front of KMTC, Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified