Activation Date: 22 May, 2021 Announced Date: 22 May, 2021 Expire Date: 03 Jun, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
On a mission to reduce project costs and extend the service life of road infrastructures in Afghanistan, the MoPW aims to embark on a project to develop a set of new criteria for the design of roads and highway infrastructures in compliance with national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, economic situation, safety requirements, and the available construction technology. The adoption of newly developed design criteria will enhance safety, mobility, and sustainability when designing.
For the effective accomplishment of this purpose, the ministry intends to establish a team of well-versed and highly experienced professionals that will work together to revise the available Interim Road and Highway Standard and substituting it with the newly developed design criteria for roadways and highway infrastructures with sufficient quality to be adopted by the MoPW and other relevant highway agencies and contractors functioning in Afghanistan. The developed design criteria will encompass the essential design criteria, including but not necessarily limited to road functional/administrative classification system, sets of design references, guidelines for traffic characteristics, sight distance, horizontal/vertical alignment, cross-sectional elements, rest/parking facilities, ramps, drainage facilities, and structures, retaining structures, intersection types, pavement types, pavement markings, traffic signs, and road furniture, etc
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The MoPW is looking for a highly qualified Project Manager (Transportation Engineering Senior Specialist) with a strong background in the construction and management of highway/transportation projects, and proven experience in developing, revising, and publishing guidelines, manuals, and other essential technical documents. The Project Manager/Team Leader will be responsible to solely lead and manage the team assigned for developing design criteria. The position holder must efficiently manage the day-to-day aspects of the related project deliverables from the initiation until its closure. The incumbent will ensure that the project’s work progress and expenditures are on right track and within the proposed timeline and budget plan. The selected candidate should assist the teams to work towards the project objectives and make sure that the project deliverables are aligned with the project scope. Additionally, the incumbent should possess the capacity to engineer all phases of highway construction projects from the planning and procurement stage up to the commissioning and project closeout.
The selected candidate is expected to remain active through all project phases and work in close coordination with the senior management in the MoPW. The PM must directly report to the Office of the Senior Advisory to the Minister of Public Works.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The selected PM will focus on managing the project activities whose duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Lead and manage teams involving professional engineers and consultants;
• Define, track, and manage project deliverables;
• Ensure the project budget is well-managed by monitoring the expenditures and costs against the benefits of project activities;
• Assist in the definition of project scope and objectives, involving all relevant stakeholders;
• Manage changes to the project scope, project schedule, and project costs using appropriate verification techniques;
• Ensure that the team members, consultants perform in compliance with the contract and process contractual matters including approval of variations, granting of time extension, etc.;
• Review/prepare progress reports (weekly, monthly, quarterly) submitted by the team to track and assess the project performance;
• Track project deliverables using appropriate tools;
• Review, evaluate, and assure that deliverables are produced with quality and keep the track of project progress;
• Collaborate with project team members (international and national staff and consultants) and have regular consultations with them to ensure coherent documentation, planning procedures, and expected deliverables;
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with seniors and team members and provide the necessary advice and support to the team;
• Plan and coordinate the activities of each team to ensure the completion of the project on time within budget and within scope;
• Ensure that the project deliverables are produced by taking into account the followings: the national and international standards, country’s climatic and environmental conditions, human/institutional capacity, economic situation, contractual forms, current construction practices, construction technology, and the engineering characteristics of local construction materials;
• Convene and attend intra-team and inter-team technical meetings on regular basis;
• Coordinate and work as Focal Point Person during all meetings and report on project matters to the Senior Advisory Office as necessary;
• Ensure that all the teams and their members undertake comprehensive collaboration to meet the project objectives;
• Assist the International SMEs in arranging workshops, i.e., “Training of Trainers (ToT)” for the capacity building purpose of regional and provincial engineers;
• Must show proficiency in the identification, analyses, resolution of problems, and possess skills in planning, organizing, estimating, scheduling and monitoring of construction project activities;
• Demonstrate excellence in Highway Engineering with thorough knowledge of standards, codes, guidelines, and manuals for highway construction projects;
• Analyze and resolve technical issues and propose optimum solutions promptly;
• Familiar with the processes of contract management, handling variations and claims;
• Ensure that the language used in the newly drafted Design Criteria is clear, simple, and focused; and
• Other functions related to developing design criteria required or assigned by the senior management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Highly experienced in projects involving construction management and supervision under a FIDIC contract environment or similar conditions used in highway projects;
• Demonstrate a good understanding of the concepts, principles, theories, and methods required to plan, design, construct, operate, and maintain roads, bridges, tunnels, and other highway structures;
• Familiar with local, regional, and international standards, including MPW standards, IRC, AASHTO, ASTM;
• Able to develop specifications/guidelines and write clear, concise, and accurate technical reports/documents;
• Technology Awareness – Good computer skills using MS Office, AutoCAD, Primavera/ MS Project, and the Internet;
• Fluency in spoken and written English language and excellent communication skills;
• Teamwork – excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people;
• Excellent in planning and organizing;
• Able to manage conflicting priorities;
• Able to coordinate with co-workers and meet deadlines; and
• Demonstrate leadership in handling multidisciplinary teams.
• A bachelor’s degree (master degree is highly preferable) holder in Civil or Transportation Engineering with road construction and management background;
• Having work in project management or construction management (a master’s degree in the field is also preferred);
• Must be fully familiar with the currently practiced construction methods, project implementation procedures in the country, and have a thorough understanding of FIDIC contracts;
• Candidates with PMP certification will be given preference;
• Have at least 10 years of experience focused on transportation engineering projects and teams management, design, survey, construction, etc.;
• Having 2 years of experience related to technical document preparations and developing standards/manuals is highly preferable;
• Must have led several high-profile highways and mega transportation projects with experience of managing and tracking them from the initiation thru the final construction and closeout phase;
• Must have completed several high-profile infrastructural projects in high-profile companies/ organizations;
• Must demonstrate robust technical writing and English communication skills;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan and be a team worker;
• Perform any other duties and tasks as assigned by the senior management.
• CV with a cover letter for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract; and
• Copy of other relevant documents that support the application.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/PSC/1400-61) and the post title Project Manager (Transportation Engineering Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Address: SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul-Jalalabad Rd., opposite KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted