Activation Date: 27 May, 2021 Announced Date: 27 May, 2021 Expire Date: 08 Jun, 2021
About Ministry of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
The Directorate of Survey and Design carries out land surveys and designs of roads and roadway structures. The Directorate’s scope of work includes feasibility studies, topographical surveys, geotechnical investigations, hydrology, and hydrologic analysis as well as geometric, pavement, bridge, and other roadway structures’ designs.
The Ministry of Public Works (MPW) is recruiting qualified engineers to carry out pavement and roadway structures’ design and technical surveys of various segments along the Strategic Road Network as well as on rural roads throughout Afghanistan.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The duties & responsibilities of the Structural design Engineer shall comprise (but not necessarily be limited to the following items).
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Investigating structural design alternatives and developing preliminary cost estimates according to general parameters;
• Provide sound technical expertise when applying engineering principles, techniques, and methods to design road-related structures such as culverts, retaining walls, causeways, canals, side ditches, and other necessary protection works;
• Responsible for the output of road structure design, its performance, and supervision of staff in the unit.
• Ensure all culverts, wash ways, retaining walls and protection wall designs are completed to the highest standards.
• Innovative analysis and design of road-related structures according to recent engineering trends and engineering economics;
• Analysis and design road-related structures in engineering software’s such as CSI Bridge, Staad pro, SAP2000, and Ms. Excel;
• Prepares engineering structural designs computations, sketches, and design all Components of road-related structures according to AASHTO, ACI, ASTM, and MoPWs standards and review final design drawings/documents;
• Performs complex engineering tasks effectively and accurately;
• Provides technical guidance to CAD Designer/Drafters working on the projects;
• Provide technical advice on safe design and construction to prevent any possible future failure;
• Review all technical and design documents and prepare design reports;
• Assist Engineering Manager in supervising assistant and Junior Engineers;
• Making site visit, spot-checking, verifying, and controlling work of the contractor, and ensure work progress according to engineering Standards and projects schedule;
• Track and report on project progress;
• Monitor and inspect all works undertaking by the contractor to ensure structural safety, efficiency and soundness;
• The preparation of BOQ and technical documentation in accordance with the MoPWs standards;
• Review and endorse any design changes that are processed by the regional engineer;
• Any other task assigned by the relevant head/supervisor;
Skills & Competencies:
• professional knowledge of CSI Bridge, Staad Pro, Auto CAD, SAP2000, Geo5, Auto CAD Civil 3D;
• Must be able to deliver the cost-effective design of structures;
• Excellent English skills, both written and verbal. Fluent in Dari and Pashto, both written and Verbal;
• Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions (especially in the field);
• Min of bachelor degree in civil engineering, structural engineering, transportation engineering and master’s degree in structural engineering is preferred ;
• Having min of 7-year work experience for bachelor degree in structural design, maintenance, and construction (general experience) and min of 5-years work experience in road-related structures design;
• Having min of 5-years work experience for a master’s degree in structural design, maintenance, and construction (general experience) and min of 2-years of work experience in road-related structure design;
• Knowledge of standard practices of structural engineering;
• experience working with structural design software;
• Required verbal and written communication skills in English;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Perform any other road-related structure duties and tasks as assigned by the head/supervisor;
• CV with an application form for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
• Copy of other documents seems to be necessary;
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications; detailed CV and other required documents [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP /1400-81) and the post title (Road Structural Design Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul Jalalabad Road, in front of KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for written exam and interview