Activation Date: 04 Apr, 2021 Announced Date: 04 Apr, 2021 Expire Date: 18 Apr, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
The Road Asset Management System (RAMS) is a planning tool that MoPW intends to use to deliver a sustainable road management system. MoPW is in the process of building upon the previous progress made in establishing RAMS to produce annual maintenance plans and priorities the project. The ministry is recruiting data collectors to carry out pavement and roadway structures’ inventory and condition surveys of the Strategic Road Network (SRN) and of rural roads throughout Afghanistan. The paved road share of SRN is around 7,000 km of various types of pavements including asphalt, concrete, and DBST. Roadway structures include Bridges, Culverts, Tunnels, Avalanche Galleries, Causeways, and Retaining Walls. MoPW will provide the necessary training for the pavement inventory and condition surveyors on various types of inspections, data collection, use of inspection equipment, form filling, condition rating using severity and extent of various elements. The trainees will be able to identify defects and specify the element’s condition index and provide detailed descriptions accompanied by photographs and sketches as needed
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The roadway (pavement and structures) inventory and condition assistant surveyor will assist the pavement and structure inventory and condition surveyors in collecting of required data for the inventory of roadway elements (pavement and structures) and its condition required for the planning of road network, prioritization of roads for maintenance/up-gradation works, type of maintenance required for the pavement and its structures, up-gradation of roadway class, budgeting, timeline, etc.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist the pavement and structures inventory and condition surveyors in conduction inventory and condition survey, data collection, field measurements, equipment installation, keeping equipment and tools, etc.
- Assist engineers in management inspection schedules and complete work plans;
- Assist engineers in liaising with MoPW central office and local authorities and get approval prior to site inspection;
- Assist engineers in carrying out inventory survey and fill its template as necessary;
- Assist engineers in carrying out routine and periodic condition surveys as planned, meticulously, systematically, and in a consistent manner as requested by the team leader;
- Assist engineers in filling inspection forms utilizing survey equipment, take pictures/videos recordings, make drawings/sketches, and write inspection summary sheets;
- Assist engineers in recording the details of current defects and any preventative or corrective maintenance activities previously carried out;
- Assist engineers in conducting Quality Assurance (QA) and Quality Check (QC) process in compliance with the Inspection Manuals;
- Assist engineers in estimating quantities and unit prices for repair works as required and assist planning personal on preventative and corrective actions required for maintenance;
- Carrying out traffic counts when necessary or instructed by the head;
- Keep soft and hard data on roadway structures such as inspection forms, sketches, drawings, calculations, reports, photos, etc.
- Assist engineers in carrying out IRI, PSI, etc. surveys;
- Collect and sort data on each roadway element in various folders for inventory, condition survey, Html ODK files, etc.;
- Fill out risk matrix spreadsheets before undertaking trips;
- Assist engineers in carrying out supervision and provide guidance to the data collection contractor (if hired) to improve their performance and quality of the works;
- Participate in missions related to the project review and evaluation (if required);
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of seminars and training courses (if required);
- Any other task assigned by the relevant engineer, head and supervisor.
Skills & Competencies:
- Familiar with the roads survey, field measurements, data collection, etc.;
- One-year experience transportation engineering field (roads survey, design, construction, maintenance, quality control, quality assurance);
- Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions (especially in the field);
- Be able and willing to travel to all provinces and remote location in Afghanistan, including volatile and insecure areas;
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept responsibility for poor data collection;
- Basic knowledge of road geometric and structure design will be an asset;
- Use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD.
- Min of bachelor degree in civil engineering, transportation engineering, and or any other similar discipline;
- Having of personal computer installed with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and AutoCAD software;
- Having min of 1-year work experience transportation engineering field (roads survey, design, construction, maintenance, quality control, quality assurance);
- Basic knowledge of standard practices of maintenance and construction for roadways;
- Required verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan, collect required data and work as part of a team;
- Physical fitness and able to travel and complete inspection procedure;
- Perform any other survey-related duties and tasks as assigned by the head/supervisor.
- CV with an application form for the relevant position;
- Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
- Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
- Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
- Copy of other documents seems to be necessary.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/RAMS/1400-03) and the post title (Roadway Inventory and Condition Assistant Surveyor) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul Jalalabad Road, in front of KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for written exam and interview