Activation Date: 29 Mar, 2021 Announced Date: 29 Mar, 2021 Expire Date: 11 Apr, 2021
About Mercy Corps:
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Mercy Corps works in places of transition, where conflict, disaster, political upheaval, or economic collapse present opportunities to build a more secure, productive, and just communities. Providing emergency relief in times of crisis, we move quickly to help communities recover and build resilience to future shocks, and promote sustainable change by supporting community-led and market-driven initiatives. Recognizing both the great potential and the complex challenges faced by Afghanistan, since 1986 Mercy Corps has been implementing a range of humanitarian assistance and development programs tailored to the specific needs of the country and of those communities where we work.
Mercy Corps has been working in Afghanistan continuously since 1986 with a large portfolio of programs addressing the promotion of sustainable licit livelihoods, agriculture development, youth vocational training, Renewable Energy and natural resource management; it has helped more than 2.5 million Afghans through these wide-range of community–based agriculture and economic development programs. Mercy Corps is working in Kabul, Kandahar, Helmand, Uruzgan, Herat, Takhar, Badakhshan, Parwan, Baghlan,,Samangan, Balkh and Nangarhar.
Mercy Corps has been working in Afghanistan since the onset of the political and security crises in 1986 and through subsequent humanitarian crises. Mercy Corps remains committed to addressing critical needs of Afghan communities and connecting them with appropriate resources. Over the years, Mercy Corps has increased its capacity and expertise to successfully implement emergency programs and reach the most vulnerable populations while leveraging its past experience.
Mercy Corps has implemented several key programs in the South and North of the country in key sectors such as agriculture and food security, skills development, renewable energy, natural resources management, community infrastructure and job creation. More recently, Mercy Corps completed a WASH program focused at some of the major IDP/returnee settlements in and around Herat city in Western Afghanistan. Mercy Corps is currently preparing to implement a new WASH/livelihoods program “Supporting Transformation for Afghanistan’s Recovery (STAR)” in four conflict-affected districts in the Herat province. This 24-mohth program is expected to directly benefit some 24,000 women, men and children living in approximately 16 rural villages who come from a multi-ethnic background. These districts were among the worst affected due to the prolonged conflict. While they were still struggling to recover from the effects of the unrest, they were hit by yet another drought recently. Over the years, their main livelihood sources have diminished as a result of low agricultural production and depletion of the livestock population.
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, colour, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics
Mercy Corps is committed to ensuring that all individuals we come into contact with through our work, whether team members, community members, program participants or others, are treated with respect and dignity. We are committed to the core principles regarding prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse laid out by the UN Secretary General and IASC. We will not tolerate child abuse, sexual exploitation, abuse, or harassment by or of our team members. As part of our commitment to a safe and inclusive work environment, team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, respect local laws and customs, and to adhere to Mercy Corps Code of Conduct Policies and values at all times. Team members are required to complete mandatory Code of Conduct eLearning courses upon hire and on an annual basis.
General Position Summary
The Site Supervisor will provide support and supervision to daily construction activities on WASH and community infrastructure projects in the areas of operation. On a daily basis the Site Supervisor reports to the Field Engineer. Under the general supervision of the Field Engineer and Senior Engineer, the Site Supervisor will support and supervise construction, maintenance and repair activities as defined by project requirements, technical standards, specifications and other documentation.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Conducting household and site/community assessments.
- Involvement in beneficiary identification and selection.
- Supervise the site teams, contractors and/or labourer in order to ensure correct, safe and timely implementation to the required standards.
- Identify direct and indirect beneficiary needs in terms of access to WASH facilities and other community infrastructure, taking into consideration specific needs of vulnerable individuals and persons of concern.
- Support, facilitate or undertake communication and liaison activities to actively consult and involve beneficiaries, key informants, actors, partners and stakeholders in all stages of project design and implementation.
- Work closely with Field Engineer in order to implement projects according to relevant local, national and international technical standards.
- Support the conducting of site, infrastructure and building surveys with drawings, measurements and photographs.
- Ensure daily monitoring of the quality of construction and the progress of project/works implementation.
- Provide regular updates on progress to supervisors and other team members, as appropriate.
- Ensure regular and timely reporting of problems, potential delays or risks to project implementation to Field Engineer, and support in the development and execution of solutions and mitigating actions.
- Take responsibility for stock, inventories, materials, tools and equipment, including correct filing and documentation.
- Be responsible for safe storage, inventory and maintenance of materials, tools and equipment. Chairing weekly site construction meetings and reporting, referral of identified issues as appropriate.
- Manage safety and security of the construction site, workshops and associated areas, including of staff and labourers.
- Undertake any other duties that may be assigned by the Line
Influence & Representation
Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with WASH Cluster, relevant local governments and other stakeholders relevant for Herat/Western region.
Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports directly to: Field Engineer
Works directly with: Community Hygiene Promotion Workers
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- A technical Diploma Civil/Environmental/Sanitary Engineering or equivalent;
- At least five (5) years’ work experience in supervising construction projects including water and sanitation and/or community infrastructure;
- Experience working with NGOs, particularly international humanitarian organizations in refugee / IDP contexts;
- Proficiency in spoken and written local languages is essential; a good level of spoken and written English is highly desirable;
- Computer literacy is highly desirable;
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member;
- Strong networking, interpersonal and presentation skills;
- Excellent communication and organisation;
- Systematic planning and analytical skills;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of local communities and customary rules;
- Punctuality, professionalism and respect for applicable rules and procedures;
- Ethical, transparent and accountable decision-making;
- Independent work showing initiative, i.e. with minimal supervision and under pressure;
- Self-motivation, goal/result-orientation and team work;
- Flexibility, creativeness, tolerance and maturity;
- Attention to detail, following procedures, meeting deadlines, working and problem-solving independently and cooperatively.
- Ability to work on multiple task and prioritize effectively
- Strong Computer knowledge (MS Office)
- Strong communication skills required
- Time Management skills required
- Willing to travel to Mercy Corps sub field offices
The position is based in Herat and it requires travel to Kabul and possibly other provinces within Afghanistan.
Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
While sending your CV & Cover letter, please mention the vacancy number and position in the subject line, application received after the closing date and without subject line will not be given consideration. Please include three references from you previous and current supervisors in your CV and make sure that their official email addresses are mentioned in the reference information.
Only short listed candidates whose application responds to the above criteria will be contacted for interview. Interested candidates should send their Application to : [email protected]