Activation Date: 25 Mar, 2021 Announced Date: 25 Mar, 2021 Expire Date: 08 Apr, 2021
The National Water Affair Regulation Authority (NWARA), Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has received four grants under the Agriculture and Natural Resources (ANR) sector portfolio of ADB. NWARA has established a Central Program Management Office (CPMO) to centralize and streamline the activities under these grants. The CPMO handles procurement, project administration, contract management etc. for the projects financed under the Grants. The Social Safeguard officer will support CPMO in ensuring that project interventions will be done in a manner whereby the neutral role of the project cannot be questioned. The Social Safeguard officer will report to CPMO Social Safeguard Manager. S/he will be stationed in the PIO of Kunduz with trips to the project sites.
Objective/Purpose of the Assignment:
The Social Safeguard officer will be working under the supervision of Social Safeguard manager to ensure compliance with ADB’s, safeguards procedure.
The Social Safeguard officer will ensure selected projects comply with the requirements and procedures stipulated in relevant documents, including but not limited to ADB Safeguard Policy Statement (2009) and Government of Afghanistan Land Management Law, Land Acquisition Law, relevant policy and regulation.
Specific tasks to be undertaken by the Social Safeguard officer include, but shall not be limited to:
- Participate in census and inventory of lost assets (in terms of loss of homes, agricultural and other lands; or less of access to current income-generating activities, including impacts caused by permanent or temporary acquisition) survey of affected people and a baseline socioeconomic survey of the affected populations; list likely losses of households, agricultural lands, business and income opportunities, as well as affected communal assets and pubic building;
- Monitoring of LARP implementation under Lower Kokcha Irrigation Project and Panj Amu River Basin Projects in Kunduze, Badakhshan and Takhar Provinces.
- Conducting consultations meeting with stakeholders – including private sector and local farmer’s groups as well as communities with proper documentation, to elicit the views of both male, and female stakeholders,
- Prepare monthly monitoring report and develop action plan for non-complete activities.
- Filling of all safeguard documents and providing the tracking sheet for safeguard documents.
- Establishment of (Grievance Redress Committee-GRC) at subproject level.
- Follow up the (Grievance Redress Mechanism) activities and report the status of any grievance recorded in the field level.
- Liaise with the site supervisor, WUA members and other stakeholders to address day-to-day social issues of the sub-project.
- Assist as in preparation of LARP and DDR for the subprojects.
- Coordinate with environmental team of PIO during document preparation and monitoring.
- Participate in walk-through surveys and share the main environmental and social issues with other team members, community representatives, local authorities etc.
- Carry out any other tasks at the request of the Line manager.
- Bachelor of environmental science, social sciences, Agriculture, or other relevant fields. A master degree in one of the mentioned fields will be preferred.
- Four years of relevant professional experience in a government, NGO/donor agency or International Agency context, including experience working in the field;
- Familiarity with ADB Safeguard Policy Statement (2009) or World Bank Social and Environmental safeguards procedures, Afghanistan environmental and land acquisition legislations
- Demonstrate integrity and fairness; honest and complies with ADB rules, regulations and code of conduct.
- Good knowledge of computer packages, including MS Power Point, MS Word and MS Excel is required.
- Full working knowledge (in writing and orally) of English and Pashto and/or Dari
The interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to the following email address [email protected] and CC [email protected] not later than 08-04-2021. Please indicate the position title and reference no. in the e-mail subject line. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.