Activation Date: 19 May, 2021 Announced Date: 19 May, 2021 Expire Date: 25 May, 2021
Chemonics seeks Strengthening coordination and oversight Team Lead for an anticipated USAID-funded project; Afghanistan Power Sector Governance (PSG).
The purpose of the Afghanistan PSG Activity (the “Activity”) is to support the Government of Afghanistan (GOA) in its efforts to enhance governance functions of national power sector institutions and strengthen the operational capacity and transparency of the state-owned electric utility, Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS). The focus of the Activity is to improve oversight and management practice within DABS as a means to measurably advance commercial performance. This Activity will facilitate DABS’ path of financial sustainability and support increased growth and the quality of electricity services for its residential, commercial, and industrial customers. The overall Goal of the Afghanistan PSG Activity is to improve the commercial performance and quality of service delivery in Afghanistan by enhancing the governance practices of key sector institutions.
Strengthening coordination and oversight Team Lead is responsible to strengthen the power sector and corporate governance procedures in Afghanistan so that key institutions can deliver on core sector goals.
- Working with DABS to establish clear roles and responsibilities for Afghanistan’s power sector institutions and implement relevant mandates, including integration of the ESRA, while removing redundancy and overlap.
- Strengthen and/or introduce oversight and accountability mechanisms that contribute to improved performance by power sector institutions.
- Working with relevant department to enable improved corporate governance procedures at DABS to enhance its commercial focus and operational effectiveness.
- Form relationships with key stakeholders, including the following:
1. DABS: Board of Directors, Shareholders’ Assembly,Senior Management Group
2. GOA: Energy Services Regulatory Authority (ESRA),Ministry of Finance
3. Others: Private sector representatives, civil society groups or representatives, donor partner
- Develop and implement performance improvement action plans for the power sector institutions.
- Working the DABS to introduce new approaches and equipment for improving power distribution.
- Provide technical assistance to the Ministry of Water and Power to introduce best practices and strengthen the ministry’s planning and policymaking role.
- Coordinate with the technical team on comprehensive implementation of activities in order to achieve the activity results and objectives while complying with USAID rules and regulations.
- Provide weekly and monthly reports to the Deputy Chief of Party and Chief of Party on activity progress.
- Contribute to annual work planning.
- Perform other tasks as designated by the Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party.
- Master’s degree or its equivalent with 5 years of relevant experience; Bachelor’s degree with 7 years of relevant experience.
- Strong leadership skills with a demonstrated ability to manage and motivate teams.
- Relevant technical experience in the areas of power sector governance and utility reform support and services.
- Experience working collaboratively with DABS, host Afghan Government counterparts and the local private sector strongly preferred.
- A proven record of excellent management, strategic thinking and decision-making, leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills.,
- Demonstratable ability to find viable solutions to complicated problems in a flexible, time-sensitive, and creative manner.
- Experience working on USAID programs preferred but not required.
- Excellent written and verbal English language skills
Qualified applicants are highly encouraged to apply for the position by filling the online application form and upload their CVs and cover letters. Please click to the below link: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/b49251119d534b57bde1f772993eba67
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Applications received after the above-mentioned deadline will not be considered
- Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- This vacancy is open only to Afghan Nationals
- No in-person appointments or telephone calls will be entertained
- Candidates who are applying for this position must fully meet the education requirement as specified
- At the time of application, candidates must also meet in full the experience requirement
- Short-listed candidates will be requested to provide educational documents such as degrees, diplomas, certificates, and other pertinent documents as needed. Failure to provide the required documentation will result in disqualification of their application from further consideration