Activation Date: 04 Apr, 2021 Announced Date: 04 Apr, 2021 Expire Date: 18 Apr, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
The Road Asset Management System (RAMS) is a planning tool that MoPW intends to use to deliver a sustainable road management system. MoPW is in the process of building upon the previous progress made in establishing RAMS to produce annual maintenance plans and priorities the project. The ministry is recruiting data collectors to carry out pavement and roadway structures’ inventory and condition surveys of the Strategic Road Network (SRN) and of rural roads throughout Afghanistan. The paved road share of SRN is around 7,000 km of various types of pavements including asphalt, concrete, and DBST. Roadway structures include Bridges, Culverts, Tunnels, Avalanche Galleries, Causeways, and Retaining Walls. MoPW will provide the necessary training for the pavement inventory and condition surveyors on various types of inspections, data collection, use of inspection equipment, form filling, condition rating using severity and extent of various elements. The trainees will be able to identify defects and specify the element’s condition index and provide detailed descriptions accompanied by photographs and sketches as needed.
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The Traffic Counter will carry out the traffic (vehicles) counting and collect all the required relevant data for the determination of average daily traffic (ADT), annual average daily traffic (AADT), peak hours traffic, ESAL, traffic growth rate, running speed, gross vehicles weight, axle loads, etc. required for the planning of road network, carriageway width analysis, up-gradation of roadways (from two lanes to four and six lanes), prioritization of roads for maintenance works based on the traffic volume or intensity, pavement structure design, roadway classification based on the traffic volume, budgeting, timeline, etc.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assisting Traffic Engineering Specialists in preparing traffic counting plan;
- Assist liaising with MoPW central office and local authorities and get approval prior to the traffic counting and data collection;
- Conducting traffic counting in the field;
- Filling the traffic counting templates, data entry to the computerized spreadsheets, etc.
- Assisting in preparation of traffic survey templates and analysis spreadsheets;
- Assisting in the calculation of ADT, AADT, and Peak hours traffic volumes;
- Assisting pavement designers in the calculation of equivalent single axle loads (ESAL) for the design of pavement structures;
- Conducting required survey for analysis of passenger car equivalent or passenger car unit for vehicles operating in Afghanistan;
- Conducting required survey for determination of tire pressure survey and required analysis for vehicles operating in Afghanistan;
- Conducting axle load survey required for the ESAL calculation;
- Carry out routine and periodic traffic counts and survey;
- Filling survey forms utilizing survey equipment, take pictures/videos recordings, and write survey station brief information;
- Keep soft and hard data of traffic counts such as counting forms, sketches, drawings, calculations, reports, photos, etc.
- Fill out risk matrix spreadsheets before undertaking trips;
- Coordinate with RAMS core team, the Traffic Engineering Specialist, Pavement Condition Officer, and GIS specialist to update the central database in an accurate and reliable manner;
- Carry out supervision and provide guidance to the vehicles counting contractor (if hired) to improve their performance and quality of the works;
- Participate in missions related to the project review and evaluation (if required);
- Participate in the preparation and implementation of seminars and training courses (if required);
- Any other task assigned by the Traffic Engineering Specialist, Traffic Engineering Senior Specialist, and other relevant head/supervisors.
Skills & Competencies:
Familiar with the traffic survey, roads survey, field measurements, data collection, etc.;
One-year experience in the transportation engineering field (traffic survey, roads survey, design, construction, maintenance, quality control, quality assurance);
Ability to overcome challenges and work in difficult work environments/conditions (especially in the field);
Be able and willing to travel to all provinces and remote location in Afghanistan, including volatile and insecure areas;
High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept responsibility for poor data collection;
Basic knowledge of traffic engineering, and conducting relevant surveys and analysis;
Use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD.
- Min of bachelor degree in civil engineering, transportation engineering, traffic engineering, and or any other similar discipline;
- Having of personal computer installed with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and AutoCAD software;
- Having a min of One-year experience in the transportation engineering field (traffic survey, roads survey, design, construction, maintenance, quality control, quality assurance);
- Basic knowledge of standard practices of transportation engineering;
- Basic experience working with traffic survey equipment as necessary;
- Required verbal and written communication skills in English;
- Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Able to travel to the remote area all over Afghanistan, collect required data and work as part of a team;
- Physical fitness and able to travel and complete inspection procedure;
- Perform any other survey-related duties and tasks as assigned by the head/supervisor.
- CV with an application form for the relevant position;
- Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
- Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
- Copy of verified last Posting Contract;
- Copy of other documents seems to be necessary.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/RAMS/1400-06) and the post title (Traffic Counters) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul Jalalabad Road, in front of KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified for written exam and interview