Activation Date: 22 May, 2021 Announced Date: 22 May, 2021 Expire Date: 03 Jun, 2021
About Ministry Of Public Works:
The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan.
On a mission to reduce project costs and extend the service life of road infrastructures in Afghanistan, the MoPW aims to embark on an initiative to develop a web-based application/tool for bitumen grade selection that would be accessible by the user through a web browser with an active network connection. The application will allow pavement engineers to select the most suitable, cost-effective, and less restrictive penetration grade of bitumen for a particular site based on the MoPW standards. The grade selection will primarily depend upon the levels of traffic loading and speed on the site, actual high and low pavement/air temperatures, and regional climatic conditions. The use of such an application will ensure the delivery of quality, cost-effective, reliable, safe, and durable asphalt road projects in Afghanistan. The developed web app will be primarily owned/administered by the MoPW and made available for online users.
The functioning manner of the web app will be such that the user would simply enter the essential input parameters: coordinates of the location, low and high annual air temperatures, traffic loading in ESAL, and design traffic speed. Automatic adjustments of penetration grade (grade changing) for traffic and temperature variations would take place and the calculated penetration grade will be displayed.
The ministry intends to form a team of highly experienced experts with diverse affiliations and extensive partnerships with industry and government organizations that will closely collaborate to accomplish the above goal effectively and within the specified timeframe
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
The MoPW intends to engage a professional Web App Designer/UI Designer with a portfolio of professional design projects that includes work with web/mobile applications.
The incumbent will work under the direct supervision, guidance, and direction of the International SME and leadership of the Team Leader/ Project Manager and will be responsible for creating both functional and appealing features that address the app users’ needs, designing graphic elements, and building navigation components for the web application. The position holder must discuss and understand the requirements of the senior management concerning the appearance of the web app, its intended purpose, and requirements and will closely collaborate with the web developer to make sure that the final product contains the necessary information and that all of the content is clear, visible, and found in the right place.
The selected candidate will remain active through all phases of the web application development and work alongside the team and in close coordination with senior management in the MoPW. The role must directly report to the Project Team Leader.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The duties and responsibilities of the Web App Designer will include but not be limited to:
• Work in close collaboration with team members to achieve the shared objective of designing a sophisticated web application for the selection of bitumen penetration grade;
• Discuss the requirements from the application with team members and senior management;
• Work with the web developer and other team members to determine what information the application will contain;
• Ensure that the designed app location search box is linked to google map and google earth;
• Develop UI mockups and prototypes that clearly illustrate how the web app will function and look like;
• Ensure that the designed web app is easy to understand, navigate, and user-friendly;
• Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows, and sitemaps;
• Create a visually appealing web application that features user-friendly design and ensure attractively designed graphics for user interface elements, such as menus, forms, tabs, and widgets;
• Design an attractive web application layout/user interface and ensure the targeted data is incorporated;
• Build page navigation buttons and search fields;
• Create original graphic designs (e.g., images, sketches, etc.);
• Prepare and present rough drafts to the team and senior management;
• Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g., responsiveness)
• Conduct layout adjustments if deemed necessary;
• Adhere to style standards on fonts, colors, and images;
• Ensure that all outbound links are correctly formatted and that all buttons/functions work properly;
• Ensure that the developed app functions smoothly on various browsers and all different devices;
• Assist the team to incorporate traffic data visualization, meteorological and temperature contour maps into the web application;
• Ensure that the final product works precisely displaying outputs without any technical/engineering faults and is approved by the senior management for use;
• Analyze and resolve technical issues and propose optimum solutions promptly; and
• Undertake other tasks related to the design/development of the application either required or assigned by the senior management.
Skills & Competencies:
• Demonstrate excellence in graphic design, typography, color theory, photo direction, vector manipulation, (possibly) motion graphics;
• Hands-on experience with wireframe tools (e.g., Wireframe.cc and In Vision)
• Have excellent visual design skills and be proficient in graphic design software, including Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign;
• Able to update the web app content based on the requirements and changes in the source code;
• Experience with server management;
• Having a basic understanding of pavement materials, and their performance correlation with traffic and climate variations is desirable;
• Fluency in spoken and written English language and excellent communication skills;
• Able to coordinate with co-workers and meet deadlines;
• Experienced in troubleshooting electronic or communications equipment;
• Able to manage conflicting priorities; and
• Demonstrate leadership in handling and working with multidisciplinary teams.
• An undergraduate degree holder in Computer engineering, software engineering, Computer Languages, or any other related field with a specialization in designing user interfaces and maintaining websites/applications;
• Have at least 8 years of proven relevant work experience within reputable organizations with a portfolio of advanced design projects mainly focused on the UX/UI design and maintenance of web and/or network applications for various engineering purposes;
• A Candidate with a proven employment record in a similar role within the regional/international organizations is highly preferred;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills;
• Excellent verbal and written presentation skills in the English language;
• Team player.
• CV with a cover letter for the relevant position;
• Copy of verified Degree by the Ministry of Higher Education;
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract; and
• Copy of other relevant documents that support the application.
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications, detailed CV and other required documents to [email protected] indicate the vacancy number (MoPW/SRTAP/PSC/1400-69) and the post title (Web App or UI Designing Senior Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) at Kabul, Afghanistan.
Address: SRTAP Office, Railway Building, Kabul-Jalalabad Rd., opposite KMTC, MoPW, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Note: Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.