|Date Posted:||May 20, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jun 2, 2021|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Functional Area:||Civil Engineering|
|Salary Range:||NTA, Grade CAF|
|Years of Experience:||6 Years|
|Contract Duration:||1 year(s)|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
About Ministry of Public Works (MoPW): Founded: The Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) is responsible for the planning, design, procurement, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of the various transportation infrastructure projects such as roads, bridges, and its relevant drainage and retaining/protection structures in the government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Therefore, to enhance the capacity to strengthen its ability to deliver effective, efficient, and transparent services in MPW the Human Resource Directorate wishes to recruit the following staff on contract basis from the development Budget for the Ministry of Public Work (MoPW)
Scope of Work/Job Summary:
MPW is looking to recruit a Hazard Vulnerability and Risk Assessment Specialist with extensive experience in this capacity. The main duties relate to Coordinating, monitoring, and evaluating risk reduction activities, analyzing and evaluating the amount of damage in the vulnerable area caused by disasters for the effectiveness and efficiency of the process of reopening transportation routes. The candidate is responsible to check the general situation, identify the Hazard, Vulnerability, and Risk Assessment, and evaluate the collected information and timely instruction to the relevant departments.
Control the risk in vulnerable points and evaluate the implementation of programs and operations and provide the necessary guidance to the affected management to achieve the goals of the department and cooperate with the control department and obtaining reports of vulnerable areas to carry out activities from provincial operational management departments having through the understanding of GIS software where he/she is responsible for building and maintaining GIS databases and utilizing the GIS software. The candidate must have a thorough understanding of the international and local design and construction codes/regulations/standards.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Arranging checklists to handle and assess various vulnerable areas.
• Investigation and identifying vulnerable areas in cooperation with sectorial directorates and implementing, standards and policies to reduce disaster risks.
• Handling the area affected by the natural disaster.
• Monitoring the activities of employees in the field in emergencies.
• Conduct a survey and assess the needs of the area in a vulnerable location.
• Plan and arrange programs and reduce the risk of accidents to control and reduce the risks of accidents at the level of vulnerable points.
• Management and monitoring of cleaning operations in vulnerable areas.
• Development and transfer of professional skills through workshops, seminars for better handling and evaluation in vulnerable areas.
• Assist the Project Team to develop a methodology for data collection;
• Review existing databases related to Vulnerable areas in Afghanistan and conduct a gap analysis;
• Digitizing of specific points, locations using google maps, Topo sheets (scale maps), one-inch maps and any other sources including satellite images;
• Develop base maps that can be used at the MPW level to locate points and locations.
• Scan and geo-reference field maps (base maps) and edit layer with field data;
• Review database (survey data) and develop layer with survey data – Create GIS data base
• Conducting technical and professional trainings in order to improve the work capacity of the department employees.
• The overarching role is to provide technical assistance, guidance, and oversight with traffic management and road safety developed, along with supporting Capacity Building and Institutional strengthening of the MPW teams.
• Assist in the provision of long-term goals for the MPW on road safety and disaster management.
• Assist in establishing a proper and strategic structure for the MPW for the implementation of road safety.
• Illustrate a comprehensive roadmap for the MPW for the implementation of road safety.
• Perform other duties and directed by the competent authority in accordance with the laws, regulations and objectives of the MPW.
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, transportation engineering, and or any other similar discipline; preference is given to masters in similar filed.
• Having 6 years of experience in the transportation engineering field.
• Able to travel to remote areas all over Afghanistan, collect required data, and work as part of a team.
• Physical fitness and able to travel and complete inspection procedure.
Skills & Competencies:
• Having knowledge in disaster risk reduction emergencies, the environment, and disaster risk meteorological disaster and disaster response.
• Having more knowledge of hazards and disasters risk reduction and Vulnerability in disasters, natural and man-made disasters, earthquakes floods drought, landslide, land subsidence, cyclones, volcanoes, tsunami, avalanches, and global climate extremes.
• Having personal computer installed with MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, and AutoCAD software.
• Basic knowledge of the standard practice of road engineering;
• Proven organizational and problem-solving skills.
• Fluency in one of the official languages of the country (Dari and Pashto) and familiarity (writing and speaking) in the English language.
• Good computer skills, including proficiency in spreadsheets, database, and computer-aided management in GIS, Ms. Office, and other related software to the job.
• Professionalism: strong theoretical background and substantive experience in all phases of technical administration and capacity development;
• Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals.
• Leadership: Establish and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support.
• Communication: very good communication skills both written and spoken, including the ability to communicate effectively and prepare a variety of written documents, contracts, reports, etc. in a clear, concise style.
• Technology awareness: good computer skills, including proficiency in spreadsheets, database,s, and computer-aided management.
• Respect doe diversity: works effectively with people from all background
• CV with an application form for the relevant positions;
• Copy of verified Bachelor Degree by Ministry of Higher Education
• Copy of verified Afghan ID Card (Tazkera) or Passport copy;
• Copy of verified last Posting Contract
• Copy of other documents seems to be necessary.
Afghanistan, Kabul, Kapisa, Parwan, Wardak, Logar, Nangarhar, Laghman, Panjshir, Baghlan, Bamyan, Ghazni, Paktika, Paktya, Khost, Konar, Nooristan, Badakhshan, Takhar, Kunduz, Samangan, Balkh, Sar-e-Pul, Ghor, Daykundi, Urozgan, Zabul, Kandahar, Jawzjan, Faryab, Helmand, Badghis, Herat, Farah, Nimroz
Interested candidates are requested to forward their applications and detailed CV to [email protected], kindly indicate the vacancy number (MOPW/SRTAP/1400-46) and the post title (Hazard, Vulnerability, and Risk Assessment Specialist) in the subject line when applying by email to the Human Resource Unit – Sustainable Reform and Technical Assistance Project of Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Office Add: SRTAP Office, Kabul Jalalabad Road, In front of KMTC, Ministry of Public Work, Kabul Afghanistan.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified