|Date Posted:||Dec 30, 2021|
|Closing Date:||Jan 10, 2022|
|Work Type:||Full Time|
|Number of Vacancies:||1|
|Salary Range:||As per company salary scaleAF|
|Years of Experience:||10 Years|
|Contract Duration:||Not specified|
|Possibility of Contract Extension:||Yes|
|Contract Type:||Service Contract|
About UN-WFP Afghanistan: The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. WFP has been working in Afghanistan since 1963. WFP food assistance aims to help the most vulnerable, food-insecure Afghans, including women and children, and families affected by conflict and natural disasters. In the approved Country Strategic Plan (2018-2022), WFP Afghanistan is well placed to provide comprehensive support to the country in achieving Zero Hunger by 2030 via its six closely interrelated outcomes, which range from emergency response to livelihoods creation, as well as nutrition Programmes based on a life-cycle approach, and the strengthening of national food systems.The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
This position will be with Programme Unit based in Kabul, Afghanistan and requires the engagement of a competent civil engineer, who will work with and report to the SO2 Manager in the Kabul Country Office. The main tasks required of the position will include review of engineering design and technical documentation, and monitoring/supervision of asset creation and Food Assistance for Assets (FFA) Projects. The tasks also require close liaison with the Country Office Engineering Unit.
In addition, the engineer assigned to this position will ensure that all FFA projects follow the technical steps and processes for a range of Food Assistance for Assets (FFA) programmes that require engineering support incompliance with the FFA Manual.
The Engineer shall be able to demonstrate a strong competence with progressively responsible roles in one or more of the following engineering technologies: water supply and irrigation, hydraulic,concrete and steel constructions/designs, water services; planning and programming engineering design or construction activities; planning and programming engineering projects with community based interventions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
• Contribute to the implementation of WFP Policies, standards, norms and practices ensuring compliance with wider WFP policies, procedures, guidelines and operations. Apply and implement WFP FFA and Construction Manual procedures and processes.
• Provide technical engineering advice to Programme for implementation of FFA projects at the Country office and Area Offices, in coordination with the Engineering Unit and apply best practices, standards and innovative technologies that comply with WFP standards and processes.
• Collate data and contribute to preparation of accurate and timely reporting on created outputs to facilitate informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the management.
• Undertake monitoring visits to project sites and conduct technical assessments of the ongoing FFA projects according to specifications and area mentioned in the Project description.
• Contribute towards the review and analysis of technical documents in the FFA project proposals to improve their quality and ensure that they meet the engineering requirements as required by the FFA Manual and the associated FFA Engineering Risk Assessment Matrix.
• Provide technical support in designing of the DRR focused activities of FFA in areas selected by WFP field offices with consultations of CO and participatory stakeholders including communities.
• Provide technical support to specific and defined programmes and projects of small to moderate size. With wider programme policies and guidance, planning and designing of DRR projects under the FFA and preparation of cost estimates of such projects.
• Oversee preparation and dissemination of timely analytical and critical reports including proposals for improvements in operation and the scope of Programmes.
• Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable.
• Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners, and national government to prepare for and respond to critical situation.
• Provide technical support to Area Offices (AOs) in planning, scheduling, and overseeing implementation of the FFA projects.
• Act as the technical liaison between Programme and Engineering Unit for clearance of the FFA projects.
• Perform other related duties as required.
• Completed Advanced University degree in Civil Engineering, or First University degree in Civil Engineering with additional years or experience and/or advanced training/courses.
• At least ten years of relevant civil engineering experience in design and/or construction of irrigation channels, water supply, flood mitigation infrastructure or similar at increase levels of responsibilities.
• Good communication and leadership skills. Experience with community based construction delivery methods is an asset.
• Training and/or experience utilizing computers including word processing, spread sheet and other engineering software packages.
• General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
• Fluency in both oral and written English and Pashto/Dari.
Please copy and paste the following link into the web browser in order to apply for the position.